The BEST Zombie films....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
I found myself realizing that, while there are a TON of bad Zombie Movies, the good ones are becoming too numerous to remember.....

That said, please feel free to add and don't take my "top of the head" list as anywhere near complete...
*disclaimer-subtitled films not noted, if you can't read subtitles, then go demand money back from your 6th grade english teacher and go eff yourself*

Zombie movies run the gambit from slap stick to ultra serious. My favorites are funny, but not silly, and the super serious.

Shaun of The Dead funny, not silly (MY FAVORITE)
The Horde serious, bad ass french
Zombieland funny, not silly
Blood Creek serious, absolutely bad ass.
FIDO funny, not silly
Dead Girl serious (I loved it, mixed reviews)
Dead Snow funny, a tiny bit silly, but AWESOME
Dog House funny, a little silly but original
Mutants serious, original
ORIGINAL Night of the Living Dead (pretty effing serious)
Rec #1 serious

TWD deserves a mention but is a tv show

..........maybe.....but it is a lot more than that.;)

Really Shaun o t dead is my overall best of show for incredibly witty humor in a semi serious movie.

The Horde wins for just plain old BAD ASS no-nonsense.

Dead Snow gets best "slight tongue in cheek, but no less bad ass" honors. It's nods to Evil Dead 2 are must see.

I really enjoyed the Resident Evil series...

...that has nothing to do with Milla Jovovich or Ali Larter :leghump:

I really enjoyed the Resident Evil series...

...that has nothing to do with Milla Jovovich or Ali Larter :leghump:

I liked them too....they got a little wierd, and in the wrong direction, but almost always entertaining.

The original Dawn of the Dead is still my favorite. There's never been a more epic gratuitous roundhouse kick near the end of a zombie film ever. But there's always a special place for your first.

The remake wasn't so bad either.

I liked them too....they got a little wierd, and in the wrong direction, but almost always entertaining.

I have actually never seen Shaun of the Dead...wanted to and then forgot about it, thanks for the reminder.

I did enjoy the type of humor in Zombieland.

The original Dawn of the Dead is still my favorite. There's never been a more epic gratuitous roundhouse kick near the end of a zombie film ever. But there's always a special place for your first.

The remake wasn't so bad either.

I hated that remake......then again I hated the remake of the original NOTLD too. So AWFUL!

I remember liking that original DOTD.

Shaun of the dead is great! If you have a hard time getting a date/lady friend or other into zombie flicks....Warm bodies will get then in the door. Shaun of the dead and zombieland will get them enjoying it and Dawn of the dead will make them cult fans. I do enjoy a good zombie movie

I have actually never seen Shaun of the Dead...wanted to and then forgot about it, thanks for the reminder.

I did enjoy the type of humor in Zombieland.

It is sadly hard to find streaming (even amazon does NOT have it)

You mean the one they did in color?

Yes, lol.

Isn't the entire premise an oxymoron?

....who are you talking to?

If you are saying that "Good" and "Zombie movie" don't go together, you will be very unkindly asked why you stopped in just to troll, and then instructed to go eff yourself....

If you meant something else, I apologize, please clarify.

I liked the Dawn of the Dead remake. And I usually hate remakes.

You guys have covered all of the usual suspects. A fine list of Zombie flicks. Here are a few more to toss on to the pile:

28 Days Later - Argue all you want (virus vs. undead). It's a great flick. Incredible ending.
AAAH! Zombies!! - Great movie, super low budget, very funny. Told from the perspective of the zombies.
I Zombie, Chronicles of Pain - Brutal, super depressing.
Dellamorte Dellamore - Odd, but fantastic. Wierdly calm for a zombie movie.
The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue - Old school slice of amazing Italian zombie cinema.
Return of the Living Dead - Punkers, zombies, naked Linnea Quigley. Doesn't get much better than this.
Dead Alive - The finale with the lawnmower alone is worth the price of admission.
Serpent and the Rainbow - Based on one of my favorite books, the ending is a little hokey, but the voodoo zombie stuff is great.
Re-Animator - Gross, hilarious, awesome.
Outpost - Nazi Zombies!
Undead - Great homegrown zombie flick out of Australia.
Zombie - Fulci's classic. The Italians owned horror in the 70's. Eye puncturing, cannibalism, and best of all: Zombie vs. Shark!
The Revenant - Great dark comedy/horror film about war, zombies and friendship.
Shock Waves - More Nazi Zombies! And Peter Cushing! (actually it's not that great or scary, but fun nonetheless, in a so-bad-it's-good sort of way.)
Versus - You have to watch it. The only way I can describe it is Evil Dead meets the Highlander meets Akira. I know...just watch it. It's killer.

Nice ICwiener!............wait, what?;)

DEAD ALIVE is the quintessential gross out zombie flick with incredible humor and just enough bad-assery.

DEAD ALIVE is the quintessential gross out zombie flick with incredible humor and just enough bad-assery.

It is soooooo gross. When people talk about Peter Jackson, Serious Film Maker, I make sure to bring up Dead Alive and Bad Taste.

then again I hated the remake of the original NOTLD too. So AWFUL!

Cool story behind the NOTLD remake: When they changed the name from Night of the Flesh Eaters to Night of the Living Dead the distributor forgot to put the copyright notice on the final print. It was immediately released into the public domain (that's why you've seen 7,000 different DVD prints of it). Romero made close to nothing off of it. The "official remake" (1990) was a way to try to recapture some of that lost money. Almost the entire original crew came back to make the movie, the main difference being Romero moving to the producers chair, and and his good friend Tom Savini taking over as director.

So, even though it's almost universally panned, it's a movie that Romero backed and stamped with his seal of approval. I hated it at first, but it gets better with repeated viewings. Now I like it quite a bit. And at least Romero got the $$ from it!

Cool story behind the NOTLD remake: When they changed the name from Night of the Flesh Eaters to Night of the Living Dead the distributor forgot to put the copyright notice on the final print. It was immediately released into the public domain (that's why you've seen 7,000 different DVD prints of it). Romero made close to nothing off of it. The "official remake" (1990) was a way to try to recapture some of that lost money. Almost the entire original crew came back to make the movie, the main difference being Romero moving to the producers chair, and and his good friend Tom Savini taking over as director.

So, even though it's almost universally panned, it's a movie that Romero backed and stamped with his seal of approval. I hated it at first, but it gets better with repeated viewings. Now I like it quite a bit. And at least Romero got the $$ from it!

WOW! Never knew that. What a shame! Does shine it in a different light.

The black guy from the original is irreplaceable. None of the white people could act, but he was a bad ass.

I really liked the updated versions of NOTLD and Dawn. My favorite Romero film was Day of the Dead but its remake was horrendous! Absolutely nothing like the original. How about Robert Rodriguez' "Planet Terror"??

My favorite Romero film was Day of the Dead but its remake was horrendous! Absolutely nothing like the original.

That was terrible. Nothing more than a quick and dirty paycheck for it's producers...that's about it.

How about Robert Rodriguez' "Planet Terror"??

Frickin' love that movie. I didn't put it on my list in case there were any zombie purists lurking in the thread! 28 Days Later is already a stretch.

The black guy from the original is irreplaceable. None of the white people could act, but he was a bad ass.

It's funny you say that. Throughout the years Romero has been held up as this beacon of racial progressiveness...because his lead was one of the very first black protagonists in cinematic history. He's said in more than one interview that they weren't purposefully trying to be progressive or revolutionary...Duane Jones was simply the best actor they had, so he got the lead part. He just happened to be black. Too funny.

I liked Diary of the Dead quite a bit.

I liked Diary of the Dead quite a bit.

Really? I think my expectations were too high on that one. I was a bit disappointed. I should probably watch it again, give it another shot.

ICWiener said:
Really? I think my expectations were too high on that one. I was a bit disappointed. I should probably watch it again, give it another shot.

I agree. Liked it, but...! Was pretty funny at the end when the old farts were dueling zombies!! Lol

Haven't seen Land of The Dead mentioned yet, which I actually liked. Carnival of Souls, Zombie Strippers, Chopper Chicks in Zombie Town, Osombie.

Haven't seen Land of The Dead mentioned yet, which I actually liked. Carnival of Souls, Zombie Strippers, Chopper Chicks in Zombie Town, Osombie.

ZOMBIE STRIPPERS??????

I will agree that it has 2:36 seconds that are absolutely worth watching, but the other hour and a half is AWFUL!

I dont know if I would consider it a zombie movie per-se

Of course it is! The zombie myth/phenomenon (actual zombies, not movie zombies) originated from the voodoo rituals of West Africa and Haiti. Romero and others have just taken the voodoo stuff out and left in the living dead....usually offering up their own explanation in whatever book or movie they're writing.

If you dug the movie, you should check out Wade Davis' book. It's a fantastic read.

I thought SotD and Zombieland were great comical visitations of the genre. I also enjoyed the RotLD series for it's comedic value and I still maintain it has the one TRUE Scream Queen of my generation (Linnea Quigley).

I really liked Resident Evil (the first one) though and while I enjoyed later sequels, I never felt they were as good as the first one.

Dawn of the Dead (original) was special but I also agree the new one did it justice. To agree with some of the above sentiments, the new Day of the Dead was terrible though and was like a carwreck. I couldn't look away.

For cheap, low budget, and cheesy, "ZOMBIES!!!" (at least I think that was the name of it) was pretty cool. The game with the same name above is spectacular in any event. If you have the means I'd highly recommend it for fun value. And If you were able to see Grindhouse at the theatre it was a nice, albeit truncated, presentation. It probably wasn't all that low budget either. :)

I always heard the public domain tie on NotLD wasn't entirely true but I can't say that I know either way.

Oh, and if anyone knows what the zombie movie with the detective who finds out at the end that he was murdered and zombified please post it. I was looking for it for ages. Thought I found it with "Dead Heat" but alas that wasn't it either.

Oh, and if anyone knows what the zombie movie with the detective who finds out at the end that he was murdered and zombified please post it. I was looking for it for ages. Thought I found it with "Dead Heat" but alas that wasn't it either.

Was that Maniac Cop? Can't remember exactly...but that sounds familiar.

While we are at it.......There was a really good one where 2 couples go to the Cabin (bear with me) and 1 dude is slowly going Zombie. They end up finding brains for sale at the local grocery, and at the end zombie hunters find them and awesome mayhem ensues.

What was it?

While we are at it.......There was a really good one where 2 couples go to the Cabin (bear with me) and 1 dude is slowly going Zombie. They end up finding brains for sale at the local grocery, and at the end zombie hunters find them and awesome mayhem ensues.

What was it?

A Little Bit Zombie.

A Little Bit Zombie.

THANK YOU!!!!

The scene *SPOILER FOR REAL!!!!!!!*.....where the female zombie hunter decides to off her partner and save our hero is AWESOME!!!!! Effing hilarity far beyond what I thought this film could pull off!

Back