Spice Quantity Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blanstuf

Reaction score
I currently have a batch of the Campfire Cookie recipe found here in primary. It has been in there a little over a week and I will probably give it a total of four weeks before it goes to the secondary with the spices.

My problem is that there are no quantities given for any of the secondary additions. I'm not looking for any specific taste from this (I brewed it pretty much only based on the name) but do want something that is good and drinkable in a couple months or several months. I know according to HTB, to use small amounts but I'm still a beginner and don't really have any idea where to start. Thanks in advance.

Spices:
Cardamom
Black Peppercorns
Cinnamon sticks
Ginger
Allspice
Berries
Nutmeg

So I came across this link in a post by Lazersgopewpew (thank you for that). According to this page, the amounts I should use would be:

.2oz Cardamom
? Black Peppercorns
4 sticks Cinnamon sticks
6oz Ginger
.2oz Allspice
? Berries
.1oz Nutmeg

For the peppercorns, I would guess .2oz also and I've been thinking about skipping the berries altogether since I've seen a few posts that say they can leave bitterness. I also think there will be enough going on that they won't be missed. Would anyone care to argue/suggest changing any of this? I still have a couple weeks to decide. Thanks.

A tough quandary... the original author did not give you much to go on. Just that 2oz of spices were used in secondary for 6 weeks. Is that 2oz per spice? or total of 2oz together?

I've used that spice chart before, and it is a better starting point than just a wild-ass guess. However, most of those spices are listed with boil times... which is how I usually use them. So, it is hard to tell where to go with them in the secondary.

I do know that the 6oz ginger per 5 gallon is the high side. I much prefer about half that when I made my last Xmas ale. I used 3oz in the boil for 15 mins.. and the ginger was prominent.

I have used crushed allspice berries in secondary on my meads, and have had no problems.

Maybe you take your best guess, and just give it a taste test from the secondary after 3 weeks, and see how you like it?

Let us know what you ended up with and how you liked it! I've always found my spiced beers take a few months to blend together and taste best...
--LexusChris

Thanks a lot for the reply! I'm glad you mentioned the part about the ginger. I'm not a fan of ginger and would be pretty mad if it was the dominant flavor. I also thought the "Allspice Berries" were supposed to be two separate ingredients (d'oh). I didn't know the whole spice was called a berry.

Back