Unfortunately out with the old and in with the new - an electric brewing transition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullywee

Reaction score
About 3 years ago, I (along with 3 others) and with an enormus ammount of help from PJ built a great electric brew rig. Due to 3 of us getting laid of and moving the system was sold, but now (with PJs diagram) im rebuilding.

old system
3 vessel/RIMS/BCS/Blingmann

new system
3 vessel?RIMS/PID/keggle

DSC03178.JPG

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

Haven't brewed 8 months since I sold the Shiny Blichman system. I've dug out parts of an even older system to rebuild. I'll start the control box next week

Best of luck!!! If you were closer I'd drive down and help out. But best of luck! As you know... the first electric day is always the best brew day ever...

first brew day comming up soon. On my previous electric system the first brewday was the worst ever!

- uncontrollable RIMS temps from a loose wire
- false bottom came loose
- several other issuse

this one hopefully will be better

first brew day was a disaster

berfore i started a SSR popped adios $5 POS I adapted and used another outlet

10" false bottom may not be big enough grain bed became compacted
decreasing flow causing RIMS element to trip CB, reqiured constant clearing of compacted grain.

My plate chiller may not be good enough connected it the way ive connected my therminator in the past, it was worthless.

Chin up! while irritating at the time it helps you learn your system a bit... like with mine, i found out i can't use strictly pellet hops in my system or it will clog completely... but now i know and the next brew day was smooooth gettins!
At least for the next time you'll have a new SSR, and maybe for the false bottom (i have a 10" in my keggle) slow the flow a bit.
If i have mine just right above a trickle, it pulls out everything with ease... Or maybe start looking into a grant?

Chin up! while irritating at the time it helps you learn your system a bit... like with mine, i found out i can't use strictly pellet hops in my system or it will clog completely... but now i know and the next brew day was smooooth gettins!
At least for the next time you'll have a new SSR, and maybe for the false bottom (i have a 10" in my keggle) slow the flow a bit.
If i have mine just right above a trickle, it pulls out everything with ease... Or maybe start looking into a grant?

thanks, the first brew day on my last electric seystem was just as bad but after a few brews worked flawlessly (wish id never sold it)

parts ordered ill try it again next week.:rockin:

Back