Yeast mishap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

builder59

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had my yeast table top stirring in a stir plate and had it closer than I thought to my hot liquor tank and it got to 100 degrees. It was there for about an hour. I put it in the fridge. It is a Saison yeast if that helps. Should I pitch it or start over. If I have to start over can I let my wort just sit there for a day until I start another starter? Thanks. I just posted in the introduction area introducing myself.

Thanks
Ron

That is a tough one. I would say pitch what you have and maybe get another starter going when you get a chance. The yeast might still be good, maybe you will wake up tomorrow and see an active fermentation.

You should be fine.

Think about it. The starter is small and any off flavors will be negligible. Depending on the yeast it may actually like it. 100 is not going to kill the yeast.

Which yeast?

I'm aware of at least 8-9 different commercial saison yeasts packaged for homebrewers.. Beergolf probably is, too. Do you remember which one you used?

Beergolf, it is a Saison

Lots of Saison yeasts available, so we need more info. Most can handle high temperature very well.

The guy at my LHBS just did a batch of saison using the new Belle Saison yeast.He wanted to see just how high he could take it and see what happened. He pitched at 100 degrees and kept it there. It took the brew down to 1.000 overnight. I tasted one the other day and it was very good. No fusels and great flavor.

So I seriously doubt that having your starter at 100 degrees for a short time is a problem.

Back