Wyeast 3711 appreciation thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexbanner

Reaction score
I am opening the doors to my nano in one month and have been doing some finishing touches on my process. I do half American and half Belgian ales, with the occasional English ale thrown in. Formerly, 3787/530 was my house Belgian strain but I am ditching it in favor of 3711--French saison. Why?

First, these two yeasts are very similar flavor-wise. I think a common misconception, though, is that saisons need to be fermented at high temperature. That might be true for the Dupont strain, but it is definitely not true for 3711. At temperatures of 80 degrees or more, 3711 puts out an overwhelming amount of fruity esters. It is similar to 3787, but even more dark plum dominates the flavor profile, eclipsing the malt flavor of your beer in anything but the darkest of ales. I believe 65-70 is a great fermentation temperature for Belgian pale ales, saisons, and tripels. 75 is preferable for dubbels and quads, where a greater level of fruit plays nicely with darker malt/candi syrup.

So why 3711? It is a fool-proof yeast. It will chew through any beer and leave it bone dry. Unlike 3787, though, it is not nearly as sensitive about temperature. In order to fully attenuate my stronger Belgian ales made with 3787, I would have to carefully increase temperature. Any drop in temp can send it crashing before the beer is done. If you have ever had this happen with a tripel or quad, it will absolutely ruin your beer. I still have some bottles of 1.020 FG quad and tripel that I use for cooking and nothing else. I totally believe that a dry finish is integral to all abbey ales and saisons, where a delicate BU:GU ratio can be thrown off horrendously by a couple gravity points.

Also, 3711 leaves an extremely smooth mouthfeel. I am not sure why this is, but it is definitely noticeable. My saisons finish close to zero but there is nothing thin about them. Yet they are always crisp and dry.

The drawback--speed and flocculation. 3711 is a bit slower to the finish than 3787, and its flocculation is supposedly lower. However, all Belgian strains have rather poor flocculation. Three days of cold crashing produces a reasonably brite beer.

Anyways, just wanted to let others know how great this yeast is if you like to make a lot of Belgian ales.

I'm right there with you...all of my saisons brewed with 3711 have been delicious. I do sometimes push the temps into the mid to high 80s but it always turns out wonderful. To be fair, I've never brewed with 3787/530, so I can't comment on those.

What I can say is that 3711 is definitely a winner in my book...looking forward to a few more batches on the current batch of yeast I've been reusing!

I enjoyed your review and praise of 3711 rexbanner. Having just tried my first ever saison homebrew (fermented with 566) the thread title caught my eye. I love my saison and I've heard that 566 and 3711 are very similar. I did take 566 up to 80 degrees at its peak. Finished very dry 1.002, but as you said, not "thin" at all. Looking forward to using 3711 in the future for sure.

I made a Saison De'te from NB and used 3711 and it was a beast. Even in secondary after 2 months it was still off gassing CO2.

Having just made my first Saison, I have good feelings about it. 3711 got it down to 1.002 and the hydro sample tasted great, even better when chilled down. I have a good feeling about it.

It left a very thick and loose cake compared to other yeasts I have used; I think I lost nearly 2 litres to the cake (like half a US gallon or something).

Having just made my first Saison, I have good feelings about it. 3711 got it down to 1.002 and the hydro sample tasted great, even better when chilled down. I have a good feeling about it.

It left a very thick and loose cake compared to other yeasts I have used; I think I lost nearly 2 litres to the cake (like half a US gallon or something).

Yep. I haven't noticed that it really takes much longer to drop than other Belgian strains but it does form a very loose cake. It's definitely a good idea to keep the siphon from even touching the bottom when racking.

I can't wait for mine to come in the mail... only 2 more days and its saison time.

I have another thread that I started about using leftover ingredients from a previous batch but I didn't have any yeast. The original batch was a saison with 3711 and someone suggested I top crop from that batch at high krausen. Extremely successful experiment. Very vigorous fermentation within 12 hours. I've got another week in primary and then a few weeks in bottles but I absolutely cannot wait to try these beers.

I've always used 3711 for my Saison's in the past, and always found them a little bit lacking flavor wise (fermented in the mid 70s). I love the way the yeast operates, so easy and it's a beast. So the saison I'm brewing this weekend is going to get a week with the 3724 Belgian strain (I believe that's the Dupont strain, no?), and then supplemented with 3711 to finish drying it out.

I also have a 3787 starter going for a Tripel, ironically enough. I've never tried 3787 side by side with 3711, but I've used both extensively, and never noticed a similarity in flavors. I'll have to experiment.

I've always used 3711 for my Saison's in the past, and always found them a little bit lacking flavor wise (fermented in the mid 70s). I love the way the yeast operates, so easy and it's a beast. So the saison I'm brewing this weekend is going to get a week with the 3724 Belgian strain (I believe that's the Dupont strain, no?), and then supplemented with 3711 to finish drying it out.

I also have a 3787 starter going for a Tripel, ironically enough. I've never tried 3787 side by side with 3711, but I've used both extensively, and never noticed a similarity in flavors. I'll have to experiment.

I'm not a super-taster so I'm sure others can pick up more than I can. However, I've used both strains a fair amount, enough to say that I prefer 3711 for all saisons and abbey ales. Similar flavor profile and alcohol tolerance but easier to work with, reliably ferments super dry and doesn't need to be as hot to produce a lot of fruit.

I think Chris White said that most ale yeast flavors are a product of temperature, outside of the obvious differences between Belgian strains and the rest. So controlling your temperature, you can produce similar flavors between most strains meant for a certain style.

Another yeast I love is 002/1968 (Fuller's strain). Super fast and goes brite in two seconds. It leaves a great malt character, but you can switch a lb of base malt for a half lb of sugar if you want to do an IPA or other dry style. Just need to keep it low to avoid diacetyl.

Does anyone know of some popular commercial beers that use the 3711 yeast? I'm sitting here drinking a Saison I made with 3711, wondering what else I can do with it.

I'm not a super-taster so I'm sure others can pick up more than I can. However, I've used both strains a fair amount, enough to say that I prefer 3711 for all saisons and abbey ales. Similar flavor profile and alcohol tolerance but easier to work with, reliably ferments super dry and doesn't need to be as hot to produce a lot of fruit.

I think Chris White said that most ale yeast flavors are a product of temperature, outside of the obvious differences between Belgian strains and the rest. So controlling your temperature, you can produce similar flavors between most strains meant for a certain style.

Another yeast I love is 002/1968 (Fuller's strain). Super fast and goes brite in two seconds. It leaves a great malt character, but you can switch a lb of base malt for a half lb of sugar if you want to do an IPA or other dry style. Just need to keep it low to avoid diacetyl.

I think White grouped into some broad categories (phenolic, neutral, estery, weizen, etc) where similar strains could produce similar results if manipulated properly, however, when using the same wort aerated and fermented the same way with the same pitching rate, there'd still be subtle difference in between even similar strains. That's my recollection and interpretation, at least.

I love the 1968 Fullers strain (never used 002, but my LHBS stock of White Labs is spotty and inconsistent, so I have little experience with any of their strains), but lately the 1469 West Yorkshire (Timothy Taylor) strain has been my go-to for English beers. Doesn't flocc as fast or hard as the London ESB, and every time I used it I get the lingering krausen of doom (it takes forever to drop), but I like the flavor and ester profile a lot more.

11 days in and my 1.056 Saison is down to 1.003! Thats ~95% attenuation! It smells absolutely amazing. I can't wait to bottle this batch up.

If anyone wants I have reallllly good recipes that I developed for some very cool saisons for my nano.

Summer Night: raspberry dark saison
Edge of Summer: basil rye saison
Red Summer: apple amber saison

rexbanner, what's your fermentation temp schedule for this yeast in a saison? I've got it on the stirplate now and I'm brewing this weekend. I'd love to see a recipe or two.

rexbanner, what's your fermentation temp schedule for this yeast in a saison? I've got it on the stirplate now and I'm brewing this weekend. I'd love to see a recipe or two.

65-70 is my preference now. Here's the recipe for my dark raspberry saison...one of the best beers I've made.

6 lbs pils
4 lbs vienna
1 lb D-180 candi syrup
.25 lb midnight wheat
1 lb raspberries
30 ibu

Oh, and rex, that sounds like something my wife might actually like. If you don't mind, what hops/schedule do you use?

I've been using 3711 exclusively for saisons the last few years, and aside from a desire to try the dry Belle Saison yeast, I have no desire to switch it up. I want to try the Belle Saison because I love my dry yeasts, and I've heard BS is similar to 3711, so it's worth a shot.

Oh, and rex, that sounds like something my wife might actually like. If you don't mind, what hops/schedule do you use?

I've been using 3711 exclusively for saisons the last few years, and aside from a desire to try the dry Belle Saison yeast, I have no desire to switch it up. I want to try the Belle Saison because I love my dry yeasts, and I've heard BS is similar to 3711, so it's worth a shot.

Just bittering hops. I just use whatever I have lying around. At the brewery, I use warrior exclusively for bittering.

Here's the basil saison recipe as well:

Recipe: Edge of Summer
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Saison
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.73 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 5.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 32.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 70.6 %
3 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 2 23.5 %
12.0 oz Turbinado (10.0 SRM) Sugar 3 5.9 %
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 32.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Basil (Boil 0.0 mins) Spice 5 -
1.0 pkg French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711) [50.28 Yeast 6 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge

If anyone wants I have reallllly good recipes that I developed for some very cool saisons for my nano.

Summer Night: raspberry dark saison
Edge of Summer: basil rye saison
Red Summer: apple amber saison
Well...now that you're offering :D

I was intrigued by both the basil rye and the raspberry dark saison. Any chance you could post (or PM) the details on the raspberry since the basil is a few posts up? Thanks man! :mug:

Also, do you have any feelings about 566 instead of 3711? I only ask b/c I have a couple nice jars of washed 566 laying around. It might do me good to try out 3711 though. Maybe a split batch? Hmmm...

Well...now that you're offering :D

I was intrigued by both the basil rye and the raspberry dark saison. Any chance you could post (or PM) the details on the raspberry since the basil is a few posts up? Thanks man! :mug:

Also, do you have any feelings about 566 instead of 3711? I only ask b/c I have a couple nice jars of washed 566 laying around. It might do me good to try out 3711 though. Maybe a split batch? Hmmm...

Tis on page 2 brotha

Never used 566 but if you have it, use it!

Tis on page 2 brotha

Never used 566 but if you have it, use it!
Why so it is, my good man! :mug:

Any details on the sugar or raspberry additions that i should know about? I added demerara 3 days into primary for my last saison, so just wondering.

Why so it is, my good man! :mug:

Any details on the sugar or raspberry additions that i should know about? I added demerara 3 days into primary for my last saison, so just wondering.

All additions are at flameout. For raspberries I steep them in the boil to pasteurize in a muslin bag right before chilling.

Get these recipes while they're hot because once my book is published they're getting deleted :)

Aaaand for the really simple newb types, you are then placing the raspberries into primary and racking onto them? Never used fruit in a beer yet, with the slight exception of citrus zest in a wheat.

Aaaand for the really simple newb types, you are then placing the raspberries into primary and racking onto them? Never used fruit in a beer yet, with the slight exception of citrus zest in a wheat.

Yes, exactly

Brewed a Saison on May 4th. OG was 1.062, fermented at 74 degrees for 2 weeks, then 70 for 1 week. FG was 1.000 when I kegged it the other night. Washed the yeast and pitched it into a Dark Saison I brewed yesterday. It took right off within a few hours. She's a beast! :rockin:

I've got a Belgian Rye IPA in primary right now that I used Belle Saison in. After a week, I see some similarities, but not enough to switch out. Only @ 1.010 right now, might drop a bit more in the next couple of weeks. Also, at this point it is more sulphury and banana-y than I can remember a 3711 beer ever being at any point. Hopefully, it'll clean up after itself!

Just pitched it into another beer today, so I haven't given up on it, though. Check it out and decide for yourself.

My buddy and I did a Farmhouse IPA with 3711 & Brett B. It fermented from 1.071 to 1.003 in 6 days. We left it to sit and develop another 5. My buddy kegged it the other day and said it was 1.000. I haven't gotten to try it yet, but really excited about this one.

I plan on doing some other stuff with the washed yeast, just need to clear my schedule a bit.

I just read somewhere that Stillwater Stateside Saison uses 3711, but I'm not sure how reliable that info is.
Yes! My local beerpub had this on tap tonight, and it is definitely WY 3711. Tasted exactly like my 3711 Saison.

Brewed a Saison on May 4th. OG was 1.062, fermented at 74 degrees for 2 weeks, then 70 for 1 week. FG was 1.000 when I kegged it the other night. Washed the yeast and pitched it into a Dark Saison I brewed yesterday. It took right off within a few hours. She's a beast! :rockin:

Your may 4th saison is almost exactly how mine went. But after almost three weeks in the bottle, the beer is way, way too strong to drink. It's going to need some serious time to settle down, flavor- and alcohol-wise.

Love 3711, but next time I use it, I'll lower the OG.

Brewed my petite siason 2 weeks ago. Only 7.5 lbs of grain. Mostly pilsner with a touch of flaked wheat and aromatic malt. Also light on the hops additions. I wanted a lower abv siason that is refreshing and not overly anything for a lawnmower beer.

I checked it today. It had an OG of 1.036 and the 3711 ate the sh-t out of it. It is now 1.004 and tastes AWESOME. This may be the best brew yet. I am going to give it one more week in primary, then I'll keg it. This will also be the first brew I will keg as I just got all the kegging supplies.

If this comes out the way I hope it does, I'll be making this a few times this summer. I'll be washing and saving a bunch of this yeast.

Brewed my petite siason 2 weeks ago. Only 7.5 lbs of grain. Mostly pilsner with a touch of flaked wheat and aromatic malt. Also light on the hops additions. I wanted a lower abv siason that is refreshing and not overly anything for a lawnmower beer.

I checked it today. It had an OG of 1.036 and the 3711 ate the sh-t out of it. It is now 1.004 and tastes AWESOME. This may be the best brew yet. I am going to give it one more week in primary, then I'll keg it. This will also be the first brew I will keg as I just got all the kegging supplies.

If this comes out the way I hope it does, I'll be making this a few times this summer. I'll be washing and saving a bunch of this yeast.

That's nearly the exact beer I'm doing as my flagship...it's a Belgian single called Hopsail. 4.2% ABV, saison yeast, all pils with a tiny bit of aromatic. 25 IBU but with a fair amount of Saaz and Centennial for flavoring. Been brewing and drinking it regularly for the last year.

Doing a beer like that really makes you appreciate quality pilsner malt. It's a beer that also goes great with food.

Just kegged my apple amber saison, will post results soon.

Apple amber saison is disgusting...has a wine-like quality I really do not like. Bleh

Back