Farnmhouse(saison) classic yeast and temp schedule at the end of fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauvafr

Reaction score
I am experimenting my first batch with Wyeast 3724. I know it's common practice to ferment up tp 90f with it, slowly ramping from 70f to the 90+ to avoid a 'plateau' at 1.030.

But what to do upon the end of fermentation (near 1.00 for this yeast)?

Get the yeast from 90f to 65F for a diacetyl rest or conditionning, or just getting a proper temp before bottling?
Immediate cold crash from 90 to 35?

Do you lower the temp slowly to avoid fluctuation and shock?

I've never used that yeast, but when I ferment Saisons I pitch at 65F (liquid temp) and raise the temp 2* every 12 hours. I let it top out at about 80F (liquid temp). Then I let it sit another week until FG is stable. I don't cold crash my Saisons, because the yeast that I use flocs out super clear. My saisons are actually the clearest beers I make due to this. If you want to cold crash you can go straight from fermentation temp to cold crash temp without problems. There is no need for a D-rest on saisons.

I've never used that yeast, but when I ferment Saisons I pitch at 65F (liquid temp) and raise the temp 2* every 12 hours. I let it top out at about 80F (liquid temp). Then I let it sit another week until FG is stable. I don't cold crash my Saisons, because the yeast that I use flocs out super clear. My saisons are actually the clearest beers I make due to this. If you want to cold crash you can go straight from fermentation temp to cold crash temp without problems. There is no need for a D-rest on saisons.

This sounds like a perfect way to handle 3724, but once you hit 80 you may want to wait and extra week or add a tablespoon of sugar to reactiveate the yeast they can really work slow towards the end of fermantation. (youll want a highly fermentable wort)

If you want to get wild I believe 85 gets to the peak they can handle and still ferment, but after fermentation is complete theyll handle temps up into the 100s with some purly homebrewed flavors, not for the weak of heart!

Back