New kegger questions re: carbing in a short window

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellosluggo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I realize this has been covered a million times, but I wanted to pose a question specifically as to my current situation:

I've had the AHS West Coast Pale Ale sitting in secondary for one week come tomorrow (dry hopping with an ounce of Amarillo). I'd like to keg this batch and have it ready to go by the end of the month. This will be my first kegged beer, and I've been on the fence about priming in the keg or force carbing... Then I saw this post https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/how-much-priming-sugar-keg-105601/#post1434618 where duskb describes doing a "hybrid" of priming sugar and force carbing later at a low psi for a week, and I'm kind of intrigued by the idea. I don't know if squeezing into two weeks would work, but it sounds interesting.

If you had two weeks to git'er done, what would you suggest?

My kegs are carbed in 3 days. I set my CO2 at 30 psi for 3 days (NO ROLLING THE KEG) and then turn it down to 10 and drink

If you kegged today and put it on gas at the proper pressure for the beer temperature and desired volumes of CO2, it will be safely carbed up - and cold conditioned - in two weeks, with no drama...

Cheers!

So if my keezer is sitting at about 36º and I'm shooting for 2.5 volumes, should I chill the keg first for about 24 hours, then connect the gas, set it to about 11psi and let it sit for the remaining 12-13 days (not counting a test pint next weekend, of course :D)?

I still want to try keg priming later, but I just don't think I have the time with this one.

Ah, I see you cheated and actually looked at a carbonation table like this one. Good for you! :D

You have everything spot on, except there's no need to delay putting the keg on gas while it's cooling to terminal temperature. It won't accept the CO2 as readily as it will when it cools down, but it will accept some amount, and as time is important in this case, the extra day or so will be to your advantage...

Cheers!

Hahah, that's not cheating! I was more concerned about getting a good overall picture of how to do it correctly and if I actually had the time to do it right (or at least well enough). I also "cheated" and read this post from Bobby_M https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keg-force-carbing-methods-illustrated-73328/#post765544 which pretty much goes hand in hand with your tips.

Thanks for the input! I know I can always count on great advice from the experience here. :rockin::mug:

Back