Wit - 3944 not Fermenting out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slcdawg

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian Wit (3944) two weeks ago, OG 1.048. It started with a vigorous fermentation - I need a blowoff tube. Activity slowed down after 3 days, and I put in an air lock and raised the temp from 68 to 72. Two weeks later its only at 1.020 (58% attenuation). What are my options at this point to bring it down? I'll try raising the temp a bit and rocking the bucket to agitate the yeast.

Option options, I suppose are pitching more 3844 or some Cal Ale (WHP001).

Any suggestions? I'm going to calibrate my thermometer to make sure thats not the cause. But, this is the first time I've finished so high. This is my first time with this yeast strain - maybe it just needs more time?

Looking at the Wyeast site, it says "This strain is a true top cropping yeast requiring full fermenter headspace of 33%". Could this be the issue? I had a super high efficiency and not a lot of headspace in the bucket.

I brewed a Belgian Wit (3944) two weeks ago, OG 1.048. It started with a vigorous fermentation - I need a blowoff tube. Activity slowed down after 3 days, and I put in an air lock and raised the temp from 68 to 72. Two weeks later its only at 1.020 (58% attenuation). What are my options at this point to bring it down? I'll try raising the temp a bit and rocking the bucket to agitate the yeast.

Option options, I suppose are pitching more 3844 or some Cal Ale (WHP001).

Any suggestions? I'm going to calibrate my thermometer to make sure thats not the cause. But, this is the first time I've finished so high. This is my first time with this yeast strain - maybe it just needs more time?

Looking at the Wyeast site, it says "This strain is a true top cropping yeast requiring full fermenter headspace of 33%". Could this be the issue? I had a super high efficiency and not a lot of headspace in the bucket.

Patients is a virtue with this yeast. Brewed a wit with 3944 on May 5th, with an OG .44, and as of last night it was at .16 3944 always seems to start like a beast, with a huge krausen and then slows down and crawls to a finish. I'm sure other guys using this yeast will tell you the same thing, hang in there and you will be fine. Cheers

Cool, thanks for the reply. So, can I rack it to secondary to finish up or should I leave it on the yeast cake in the primary. I normally don't do secondaries but need the FV. :)

Its been two weeks?, leave it in primary, especially since that is your custom anyway, it will be all good.

But, I want to free up the FV to use. :D Will it still keep dropping if I transfer to secondary? Or, better to leave on the yeast cake? Think I already know the answer to this one...just don't like it.

slcdawg said:
But, I want to free up the FV to use. :D Will it still keep dropping if I transfer to secondary? Or, better to leave on the yeast cake? Think I already know the answer to this one...just don't like it.

Buy another FV then;) you should not rack a beer off the yeast until its reached FG.....

So, I raised the temp and have been agitating the FV daily. In three days the SG has not budged from 1.020. Should I continue to be patient? Or, re pitch?

I'm debating pitching some 3711 to help it along. Or, possibly racking to secondary and washing the yeast, doing a starter and re-pitching the 3944. I haven't heard of anyone doing the second, but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work.

How far did you raise the temperature. I had a batch that just didn't want to finish so I went searching for an answer and found a brewer named Denny had the same problem and was advised to raise the temp. How high, he asked. 90F was the answer. I raised mine to 83 and it finished in 3 days.

Try giving the FV a little swirl to get some more yeast back in suspension. Obliviously don't shake it enough to make it splash. That has helped me in the past with 3724. I've used 3944 a ton, it slows to a crawl sometimes but always finishes.

Thanks for the tip - my next batch is a saison with 3724, so I should have some practice for that slow yeast. :)

Was this extract or all grain, mash temp?

If extract it could be done based on the extract used. If AG and you mashed high you could have a less ferment able wort and it could very well be done.

At this point a little more recipe info would help:)

It was AG, mash started at 154F and dropped 5 degrees over 90 minutes. I did wonder if my thermometer was off - but I checked and its calibrated correctly. So, I hit my mash temp.

I turned the heat up to over 80F a few hours ago and there is some bubbling in my airlock - I know that doesn't guarantee anything but I've got my fingers crossed. :) Will check SG after the weekend.

Here's an update. 4 weeks total, 1 week at the highest my aquarium heater can do (water temp in 90's) and it dropped 2 points to 1.018 in the last 5-6 days. Going to agitate the FV daily for a couple more days....see if I can get this to drop anymore. Then I'll call it quits...

I just finished bottling a Wit with the same yeast as you, and had a similar issue. Mine went nuts on day 1-2, then steady bubbling for another week and a half, and then it started crawling. Droped a point or two over the next week and settled at 1.010... I don't know that I would be comfortable going above 80F, just seems like you would be getting some harsh off flavors that might not be as nice in a Wit like they may be in a saison.

Mine crapped out really high, 1.040 down from 1.076... But I also didn't plan for enough headspace so I think I lost lots of yeast to that. I ended up bumping up into the 80s and rousing yeast via co2 wand which worked wonders on 3924. But this didn't help. The tip that did help was swirling the carboy to knock the krausen back down into the beer. With in 12 hours it's taken off again, and needs a blowoff tube again. I plan to swirl at least twice a day to keep knocking the yeast back into the beer.

Update: I added 1tsp nutrient and 1tsp honey to 1 cup boiling water, cooled and added (without splashing) to FV on Wed. Thur no activity. Was all set to call it quits today and the airlock is bubbling like crazy! :ban:

Gonna wait this bad boy out. Hopefully will get there yet.

Another update: after a week, the SG dropped to 1.009 (temperature corrected). Perfect! I kegged this bad boy and will try to remember to update the thread after I sample the finished product in a week or so. ..

Last update: the wit came out fantastic! No off flavors from adding the yeast nutrient. Will def use again if I get a stuck fermentation.

Latest posts

Back