Is secondary fermentation needed for belgian dubble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbhemphill

Reaction score
Due to an unfortunate accident, I have immediately switched to PET better bottles for fermentation. I figure these will be fine for the normal 2 week batches for oxygenation.

I currently have a Belgian Dubbel finishing up primary in my remaining glass carboy. I have 1 month left in secondary.

My question is whether I should leave it in the glass on the yeast cake for the next month, or should I rack off to the PET carboy for the remaining month?

I have been hearing that doing a secondary with today's yeast is not necessary, but this is the normal 2 week brew. Does this change with a 6 week batch? What is the limit when one needs to rack to a secondary to get off of the yeast cake?

Thanks!

You can do either one. You can leave in glass primary for 6 weeks (I woudn't) and then bottle, you can transfer to better bottle and let everything settle in there then bottle. Alternatively you can bottle as soon as your primary finishes and bottle right there to age in bottles. Plenty of choices. There is no right or wrong way doing it, just your preference and convenience.
I prefer to bulk age my belgians at least 4 months for tripels and 2-3 months for dubbels before bottling. I usually keg but prefer my belgians bottled.

Thanks paraordnance. No worries about leaving it in a Better Bottle for a couple of months? Am I being paranoid about the O2 through the plastic carboys?

Thanks paraordnance. No worries about leaving it in a Better Bottle for a couple of months? Am I being paranoid about the O2 through the plastic carboys?

I hear your worries bro. I never owned Better Bottle, I have about dozen glass carboys of all shapes and sizes. I would not leave beer in BB for extended period of time (more than a month) but I'm probably talking out of my ass due to the lack of experience with Better Bottles.
Do a 3-4 weeks primary in carboy, and then either bottle or transfer to BB for additional month of bulk aging and bottle after that.
My first ever batch of dubbel and tripel got oxidized somehow during extensive bulk aging (and that was in glass, from all that extra headspace) so I'm little paranoid now and seal them tight.

Back