Having to Move....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoopdogg315

Reaction score
I just got into the home brew hobby two months ago, found a great home brew store that has been great in helping me out.

I'm moving north of Houston and the closest Brew Store is over an hour away in the Humble....

I should have researched the job better and found out if they town had a brew store before I accepted the job....

Do you guys order supplies and ingredients online? (silly question probably)

I order almost everything online. I bought an Amazon prime membership and it's already paid for itself.

As soon as I buy a grain mill, I plan on buying grains in bulk locally so I will rarely ever have to make a trip to the LHBS.

Northern brewer, brewmaster warehouse is good but customer service kinda sucks lately. Morebeer all companies online

I have dealt with Midwest and Austin homebrew supply for various things. Both good experiences but AHS has 6.95 flat rate shipping or i think 4.95 when you hit $100 (could be wrong). Being in TX, shipping would likely be quite fast from AHS.

I second Amazon. If any friends or family pay for prime, you can piggy back as a "family member" and reap the shipping benefits... or maybe LovesIPA can hook it up ;)

I order my stuff from a small place called Annapolis homebrew. Good prices, usually ship same day and $8 flat rate ups shipping.

I order all my stuff online, from several vendors.
They all are cheaper even paying shipping and have better selection than the little hole in the wall LHBS 15 minutes away.

I order everything online. I've been burned in the past by my LHBS not having what I needed, and having to reschedule brew days as a result. Now I order my supplies online a week before brew day and never have to worry about the yeast or malt I need not being in stock.

Shopping online, and group buys (for malt and hops) are the way to go.

With my routine recipes I am slowly ordering more online (in bulk) as the prices are so much better than my LHBS (especially in Portland), most of the time it takes me a week to get to the store anyway. I order supplies one weekend and brew once it all arrives.

I think that buying ingredient for each batch is a big waste of money. Buy in bulk and SAVE. I just ordered 11 lbs of different hop varieties - all in 1 lb bags. It cost me $176, but if I spent an average of $2/oz at the LHBS, I would spend over $350.

I would be wary of buying liquid yeasts online, especially living in a hot climate like Houston. Maybe your experience would be better, but the only time I bought a smack pack online they were cooked by the time the shipment arrived.

Back