Late Carafa III addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DAlexander

Reaction score
Im doing a black Kolsh tonight and gonna go ahead and add my Carafa late to reduce the flavors as much as possible. But Im curious as to how you guys do it, during Laughter or Sparge? Never done it before and givin the delicate flavor already in a Kolsh Im leaning towards the Sparge.

DAlexander said:
Im doing a black Kolsh tonight and gonna go ahead and add my Carafa late to reduce the flavors as much as possible. But Im curious as to how you guys do it, during Laughter or Sparge? Never done it before and givin the delicate flavor already in a Kolsh Im leaning towards the Sparge.

Sparking is no laughing matter...... Sorry had to do it.
When I do things like black IPA's I do cold steeping this reduces the flavours and your Ger good colour additions. 24-36 hours in room temp water. Boiled first to sanitise. Works well for me.
Here's a pic of my first experiment 350ml with 50 grams of grain. Then sparge with 77 deg c water about 250ml after getting to temp added directly to the fermenter

image-811110759.jpg

I cold sparge 12-24 hours. Don't worry about boiling water, the grist has plenty of wild stuff on it in the bag.

I strain the dark liquor and add it to the kettle at flameout. The almost boiling wort takes care of sanitizing.

I'm also experimenting with this style using maltoferm for extra cool or. Added 1oz in last batch to my priming sugar to get a very late addition.

I cold sparge 12-24 hours. Don't worry about boiling water, the grist has plenty of wild stuff on it in the bag.

I strain the dark liquor and add it to the kettle at flameout. The almost boiling wort takes care of sanitizing.

I'm also experimenting with this style using maltoferm for extra cool or. Added 1oz in last batch to my priming sugar to get a very late addition.

Different processes, similar outcome. good to see it works just as well. I added mine to already cooled wort. the sanitised water helps with my piece of mind. then the sparge step with heated water, removes the extra sugar.

Carafa III is pretty darn mild anyways.

crusader1612 said:
Sparking is no laughing matter...... Sorry had to do it.
When I do things like black IPA's I do cold steeping this reduces the flavours and your Ger good colour additions. 24-36 hours in room temp water. Boiled first to sanitise. Works well for me.
Here's a pic of my first experiment 350ml with 50 grams of grain. Then sparge with 77 deg c water about 250ml after getting to temp added directly to the fermenter

Maybe I'm not understanding when you boil. Sounded like you boiled the water, cooled the water, added crushed grain, waited 36 hrs, strained, rinsed, combined strainings with cooled wort...

If so that is a recipe for sour beer...

Maybe I'm not understanding when you boil. Sounded like you boiled the water, cooled the water, added crushed grain, waited 36 hrs, strained, rinsed, combined strainings with cooled wort...

If so that is a recipe for sour beer...

Thats what i did exactly, , I strained with hot water though. Turned out fine. Its just a different process to what you did is all.

OK I'm glad it worked out. How long has the beer been in the bottle. An infection could take some time to show up...

I'm trying not to be an a$$hat here but it seems like you added unsanitary grain to sanitary water, cultured it for 36 hrs at room temp, then added the water, wild bugs, bacteria and all, into pitching temperature wort with your yeast...I would really like to see that repeated a few times before advocating that as a reasonable practice.

how is it different to what you've done?
Any bugs that were created, were most likely killed off during the hot water sparge process.

crusader1612 said:
how is it different to what you've done?
Any bugs that were created, were most likely killed off during the hot water sparge process.

I added 2qt unsanitary cold steeped wort into 5 gallons wort at about 210F...enough heat to sanitize the cold steeped, presumably infected, wort...

I added 2qt unsanitary cold steeped wort into 5 gallons wort at about 210F...enough heat to sanitize the cold steeped, presumably infected, wort...

I think I see what you missed, he used 77 degrees C (170 F) (maybe you thought it was F?)

Back