Belgian yeast poops out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickproenneke

Reaction score
Hey all, I've cold crashed and fined (gelatin) beers in the past and never had a problem with bottles carbing up within a 4-6week conditioning period - i usually use wlp001 or notty. But I've got this Belgian blonde (wlp530) that I cold crashed and added gelatin and after 5 wks it's just barely got any fizz. So what's the deal? Is Belgian yeast more prone to dropping out/pooping out after a cold crash and fining?? It's a really really good belgian otherwise. I just wish it was a bit more bubbly. What gives?

Not all Belgian yeasts are the same, so you can't really generalize. That said, 530 and 550 are both prone to pretty much go completely to sleep after sharp temperature drops. I've had this happen to me with 3787 (same as 530) before. If you crash cool this, I'd recommend reyeasting at bottling time.

GuldTuborg said:
Not all Belgian yeasts are the same, so you can't really generalize. That said, 530 and 550 are both prone to pretty much go completely to sleep after sharp temperature drops. I've had this happen to me with 3787 (same as 530) before. If you crash cool this, I'd recommend reyeasting at bottling time.

Reyeast with the same strain or will any strain do? What is the procedure for reyeasting bottles?

I generally prefer the same strain, so you know what to expect. The only real risk is using a significantly more attenuative strain to bottle with, as there is a small risk of overcarbonation and bottle bombs.

Most breweries that bottle condition seem to reyeast with about 10% of the rate they initially pitched with. Give it a try with future batches and see how it works for you. I wouldn't open the bottles that you have now, though. Just give them some time, and they'll most likely carbonate eventually. I've had a batch take just over 3 months before to hit its peak in carbonation levels. It's maddening waiting that long, I understand that, but give it time, and it will happen.

Here we are at about 20 weeks since bottling and my bottles are FINALY improving. Had one last night and it was delicious! Nice and fizzy. Still not fully carbed but certainly a huge leap forward.

My last beer with the Wyeast equivalent of 530 was cold crashed for 3 days, bottled with priming sugar and was nicely carbed after 3 weeks in the bottle. Didn't use finings.

Randy_Bugger said:
My last beer with the Wyeast equivalent of 530 was cold crashed for 3 days, bottled with priming sugar and was nicely carbed after 3 weeks in the bottle. Didn't use finings.

Ha! I meant 10 weeks not 20... Lol

Yeah, most of my beers are crashed with gelatin and carb up just fine in 3-4 weeks. I usually CC for 3 days, then add gelatin while continuing to keep the beer ice cold. I bottle 3 days after adding the gelatin. However on this particular 530 batch I left the beer on the gelatin for 5 days.

my Horhound Belgian Strong took forever to carb up. finally, I'd re-suspend the yeast in the bottles about once or twice a week. fully carbed now. I used WY1388.

It just takes time with a lot of yeasts. FYI, a lot of belgian companies use champagne yeast as a bottling yeast because it has a totally neutral flavor profile and is highly alcohol tolerant.

aiptasia said:
It just takes time with a lot of yeasts. FYI, a lot of belgian companies use champagne yeast as a bottling yeast because it has a totally neutral flavor profile and is highly alcohol tolerant.

That is good to know. I will certainly try the champ yeast at bottling the next time I use finings with wlp530. Any issues with overcarbing/bombs using that method? Will the champagne yeast eat sugars that ale yeast can't?

I have not heard this until now. Everything I read, Brew Like a Monk for instance, mentions that the majority of big name Belgian brewers use the same strain for fermentation and bottling.

Exactly. I'm of the mind this "different strain at bottling time" is an internet myth, probably started from knowledge of the very rare brewery that actually does something like this, that just won't die. Then again, I could be wrong, hence the asking for a source of credible information. I've only ever heard one brewer at a major brewery confirm this practice in my life. Not exactly common.

Latest posts

Back