First run - eBIAB - w/ pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haeffnkr

Reaction score
Hello,
I finally got my system up and running today.
It actually rained today and I was able to brew in my basement.
Needless to say, it was GREAT.
No more jet burners, no more fluctuating temps, no propane tanks to hall around, no more hauling all my stuff out of my basement to brew, then pack it all in again.

Need to thank PJ and all the nice folks on this forum for all the help provided and the nice folks at Auber.

I still need to hook up my exhaust fan, march pump and probably build another custom Inter Cooler but all that will get setup in time.... :)

Not much to say about the system, standard Auber 2352 controller, I have a power light and a element light, lighted switches to turn on the controller, 2 outlets, the buzzer and the contactor.
Used an old reloading table for this project, it is not pretty but works well, with the legs cut short and casters put on it I can roll this around as needed.

My keg is kind of unique that I completely ground out the lip of the keg and have smooth sides, of course it is bottom drain which made clean up a breeze.

Hope this post and the pics help someone else in the future.
Let me know if there are any questions.

thanks Kevin

8724889416_cba4395ec6_c.jpg

8723771241_1dfd70f2cd_c.jpg

8723771485_db79906417_c.jpg

8723774101_fba21deda2_c.jpg

8723822665_65b3b42c73_c.jpg

8723822705_48ae83c686_c.jpg

Looks good, I just finished mine as well. I'll have to post some pics. Did you make that "bag shelf"? If so, what did you use?

Did you make that "bag shelf"? If so, what did you use?

I think you are referring to the false bottom, but yes I made it.
It is a piece of perforated stainless with 1/4" holes in it. I cut it with a grinder cutoff wheel and added 4 x 2.5" stainless 1/4" bolts and nuts for the the "stand offs".
It is about .100" thick.....does not bend much.

I bought the material at a scrap yard locally.

thanks Kevin

This is what I picture as I mentally design my eBIAB keggle. Now that you've had nearly 6 months to use it, how do you like it? What would you change? Are you still in love with the bottom drain? Any difficulties or issues to work around? Are you brewing any 10 gal batches? If so what are the limits grain bill wise? I'd really like to hear all about your experiences with this rig.

Hello,
thanks for the comments and questions

This is what I picture as I mentally design my eBIAB keggle. Now that you've had nearly 6 months to use it, how do you like it?

I love it - most days....

What would you change?

Nothing on the current setup
Some days I wish I had a bigger pot maybe.. some days not

Are you still in love with the bottom drain?

Oh Yeah !!!
Clean in place is the only way to go !!!
I am making up a bucket with garden hose attached to that will go over to my floor drain (so I dont have to hall the slop buckets back over to my sink and dump them)

I am also going to run a water line over to the setup so I dont have to hall cleaning water over and I will use it for my Immersion Chiller

My keggle cut this way also increases my capacity 2 or 3 gallons.

Any difficulties or issues to work around?

Yes -
Getting the Mash temp constant in the whole kettle.
The bag shelf/false bottom acts as a heat heat shield. I have read others having similar issues.
The temps on the bottom of the kettle keep at the target while the temps at the top start to drift down soon as you stop stirring or pumping.
After 20 mins or so I end up with temps at the top 6 degrees lower than the bottom with a lid and blanket.

At first I tried a march pump...
Read other posts... a LOT of people have ditched the march pump on this sort of setup... including me at this time.

Part of my goal was to Mash unattended for 60 mins and it can not happen with no pump or with a pump.
I can get about 20 mins with a pump before I have to stir and mix up the grain other wise the bag will fill up and the element will go dry, with the pump on a minimum trickle. (lost a batch of beer and an elment due to dry firing the element... burnt beer is BAD :) )
I have tried grinding coarser, bigger weave bags and it will not resolve the issue.

My next try will be to use a stir motor and mounted on a lid like others did (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/ehlt-recirulation-pump-stir-motor-262170/#post3164394)
I believe this will fix all my issues and I will use it for stirring while I chill also.

And -
I can go back to double or triple grinding my grain to get better effieciency and shorter mash times since I am not worrying about a stuck grain bed and a dry element.

Also -
There is the issue of exhaust.
I tried multiple exhaust fans and failed.
If had a 8 or 10" duct and a big hydro fan it probably would have worked... search for my fan thread.

I ended up moving my rig infront of window and using a $20 box fan :)
If you are brewing in a basement you will need a window close by or a BIG Hydro fan AND cut a big hole in the wall to exhaust it all.

1.5 gallons of water is a lot of exhaust inside and makes a lot or steam...something to think about.

Are you brewing any 10 gal batches? If so what are the limits grain bill wise? I'd really like to hear all about your experiences with this rig.

I have made 2 - 11.5 gallon batches.
I am still working on my process.
Past process is to fill the kettle with about 11 gallons water, then add 20ish pounds of grain that put me at about 13 gallons of capacity in my kettle so I still have 3-4 inches of headroom.
Then mash for an hour.
Then pull and suspend the bag over the kettle and pour 3 gallons of water ( room temp water) over the grains until I get 13 gallons of water in the kettle then I boil off about 1.5 gallons.

The next time I think I will heat up about 14 gallons of water to mash temp, drain off 3 gallons to a bucket, mash for 60 mins, then pull the bag and dunk sparge the bag in the 3 gallons of water and pour that back into kettle to start the boil off at 13 gallons.

Either way would work, but I will have less mess and maybe a little better efficiency I think with the dunk sparge.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
thanks Kevin

Thanks Kevin, It all helps. Now that I have read more and have spent time thinking about the whole eBIAB idea I'm sure it's for me. Oh I'll still keep my stove top gear as well as out door propane stuff, but I can see me doing a lot of brewing this way.

My rig will be operating right under a window in the basement. I am planing on a wheeled cart/platform for my keggle so I can move it around. I have a floor drain about 12' from my brew location and can easily run waterlines to my brew location as well.

The only thing that concerns me is the problem a lot of eBIAB guys seem to have with mash temps otherwise I think it is a perfect answer for my desire to brew in the basement.

Still in the thinking stages, as my money and efforts are going into my house at the time, but I'm planning on starting on the eBIAB project this winter. Thanks again.

Robert

Latest posts

Back