Centennial Rut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MI_Troll

Reaction score
Hello-

I've been brewing for about a year now and mainly brew IPA's. That having been said, when I was dialing in my process I decided the best approach was to make the same recipe over and over until all went to plan. That recipe was Ed Worts IPA, which except for the bittering hops is all Centennial, which was fine by me as a good chunk of my salary used to go towards Bells Two Hearted until I became self sufficient. Anyway, I've tweaked the grain bill of Ed's recipe a couple of times to suit my palette, and it's some of the best beer I've ever had, so why mess with it. Because there could be something better and I don't even know about it, that's why! To that end I bought some Simcoe, Amarillo, and Chinook in hopes of branching out a little.

My plan is to use the same grain bill, but actually try different hops. I've read lots and found that Amarillo and Simcoe is a popular combo. I've come up with a few different hop schedules that get me close enough in IBU's, but as I have no experience with these hops or with recipe development in general I'd like some input. Here's what I'm thinking about:

Baseline
1 oz Columbus FWH
1 oz Centennial 15 min
1 oz Centennial 5 min
1 oz Centennial Dry Hop

Option 1
1 oz Columbus FWH
.5 oz ea Amarillo/Simcoe 15 min
.5 oz ea Amarillo/Simcoe 5 min
1 oz ea Amarillo/Simcoe Dry Hop

Option 2
1 oz Columbus FWH
.25 oz ea Amarillo/Simcoe 15 min
.25 oz ea Amarillo/Simcoe 10 min
.25 oz ea Amarillo/Simcoe 5 min
.25 oz ea Amarillo/Simcoe 0 min

Option 3
1 oz Columbus FWH
.5 oz Simcoe 15 min
.5 oz Amarillo 10 min
.5 oz Simcoe 5 min
.5 oz Amarillo 0 min

Thanks for your help!

There are basically no differences between option #1 and #2. Same amount of the same hops, with only a couple of minutes in variance. Not enough to notice, certainly. The same is true of option #3, but maybe you could notice a tiny tiny bit of difference if you were looking for it (doubtful, but maybe).

The difference between 15 minute and 10 minute additions is so minor as to be insignificant.

Any one of those schedules would be great.

Back