Hi everyone!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meridianomrebel

Reaction score
I figured I'd introduce myself. I'm a 36 year old programmer from Tupelo, MS. I got into brewing like many others that I know by using Mr Beer, and I'll always be grateful and have a fondness for those little brown kegs. I stuck with Mr Beer for nearly 8 years (I found you could actually make decent beer with them if you do certain things such as steeping some grains, ignoring their crazy 2 week statement, etc...).

Anyways, I upgraded my equipment to make 5 gallon batches a few months ago (much to my wife's displeasure). I'm getting ready to bottle my third 5 gallon batch this weekend (Tallgrass's Buffalo Sweat with a couple Vanilla Beans I added on Monday and I plan on adding some Apricot Extract in my bottling bucket). I have NB's Dead Ringer IPA lined up to get started immediately afterwards.

I have enjoyed reading everyone's advice and projects on here and look forward to chatting with you all.

Prost!

Welcome. Enjoy using your problem solving programming skills while brewing and fermenting. I programmed in high school using Turbo Pascal, C++, and VB. I haven't done it in years and lost it all, but I miss it. I got to write Pacman as my senior project in Turbo Pascal. Tough to write with such an archaic language. I do find myself using my problem solving skills in brewing quite often. Good luck with your five gallon adventures. The real fun begins when you go all-grain and get to use those math skills. Prost!

Thanks everyone. I would usually do something like a ABV calculator in my programming classes when we had free range for small projects (like in Java, Perl, VB.NET, etc...). Now a days I usually just write in C#/ASP.NET.

Don't worry 25518 - I'm pretty horrible at math as well. Strangely, that hasn't seemed to have any impact on me. Most of the time, you're not really writing any algorithms or anything like that.

Thanks everyone. I would usually do something like a ABV calculator in my programming classes when we had free range for small projects (like in Java, Perl, VB.NET, etc...). Now a days I usually just write in C#/ASP.NET.

Don't worry 25518 - I'm pretty horrible at math as well. Strangely, that hasn't seemed to have any impact on me. Most of the time, you're not really writing any algorithms or anything like that.

Maybe, I just don't quit understand it yet. Beergeeknation.com or on youtube. I remember watching something about reading hydrmeters and the fromula. Just have to find. So, I think it was beer geek nation.

Didn't even know such a thing existed. ABV calculator.

Back