How long can beer remain healthy in a fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveMcPhee

Reaction score
Due to some bad planning, I have a fermenter full of finished beer with no place to go - all my kegs are full, and will remain so for a while longer.

This is a pale ale in a 7G bucket that has now been sitting about 6 weeks, but can't be kegged yet. Are there any problems of letting it sit for another month?

In case autolysis is a concern, I used a fresh vial of White Labs, and put it through 48 hours of stirplate growth prior to pitching, so this yeast should be about as healthy as can be.

Am I OK or do I need to invite some friends over to clear a keg asap?!

I have anecdotal evidence that your beer can stay in the primary for several months. My own experience it the 9 weeks were just fine. Autolysis is something that is really hard to achieve at the homebrew level.

If you can chill it, it should be good for months. Also, if you are really worried, transfer to secondary and basically lager it. Might purge the carboy of air first with some CO2.

I too thought autolysis was a myth until I left a pale ale in the primary sitting at room temp for 9 months. I went ahead and kegged and carbed it anyway. It smelled and tasted "meaty". Needless to say, I dumped it. Could tell it would have been a good beer otherwise. Gonna brew it again and find out.

Get it off the primary yeast and trub and into a glass carboy. Purge with CO2 like mentioned above and it will last a long time with proper care.

Back