How much further?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pellphoto

Reaction score
Just racked our first AG batch (actually, our first brew ever) into secondary. We split a ten gallon batch with an OG of 1.060 into two carboys. In one, we pitched rehydrated Nottingham and in the other, WLP005 (no starter). After 7 days in primary, the Nottingham (which had a super vigorous fermentation) brought the gravity down to 1.012. The WLP005 only brought it down to 1.018. Will the WLP come down any further in secondary or is that about as far as it will be going?

WLP005 is a modestly attenuating strain, and even if that yeast was produced yesterday (viability wise) you underpitched by at least half (and if it was 30 days in the vial, the underpitch was closer to a third of optimal).

You can let it ride, but I'm betting it's done...

Cheers!

If you wanted the WLP005 to continue to work, it would have been best to leave it o the yeast in primary. But, give it some time in secondary and see what it does. Be guided by your hydrometer if you're not sure if its finished.

Ok. Next time I'll have to make a starter and leave it in primary for a little while longer. I didn't even check the gravity until racking it over. There wasn't any activity in the airlock so I just figured it was done.

Back