I'm not too worried, should I be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gashmoney

Reaction score
Hey all, been lurking for a while but first time posting. I'm new to brewing and started doing AG right off the bat (probably not smart). Just brewed my second batch Saturday night and had my first real obvious mistake. Had just transferred my wort to the carboy and was getting ready to aerate it. Put a solid rubber stopper in and it popped back out, no biggie, jam it in farther right? Oops, said stopper is now floating in the wort, which is fermenting nicely I might add. The stopper had been soaking in star san so I'm not super worried about infection or anything but is there any chance that fermenting with a rubber stopper in my beer until secondary will cause it to pick up any crazy rubber flavors or odors? If so, any advice other than not to push the stopper all the way into the carboy next time?:smack:

No don't worry about it. Getting it out might be a pain in the rear though. Did you put another bung in the hole?

How did your first batch come out by the way?

Did the same thing on a batch of IIPA a couple of brews ago. Beer came out fine. Your bung was sanitized so you should be good. :mug:

I used these instructions to get it out: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/rubber-stopper-in-carboy.html

I've found that Starsan makes the bung slip, so just get it as good as you can and once it's dried a bit more I can get it to stay in place better.

Thanks for the reassurance. I did put another stopper in. I tend to over prepare for things so I had a couple more stoppers on hand. Bottled the first batch just before I brewed number two so I'm not sure yet. I started with a one gallon batch of pale ale from Beer Craft (pretty great little book) that I tweaked just a little. Never again will I bother with one gallon. Ended up with 8 full bottles and one thats only about half full. This second batch I went to 2.5 gallons.

Don't say that. I find myself doing test batches all the time, especially on beers that I don't like. Since beer is scale-able, it suits a home brewer well to do small batch brewing until you get your recipes perfected or if you're doing beer competitions for a brew club.

Back