What to start with

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stubbq

Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to start brewing should I start by buying mr.beer kit or get a kit from LHBS I want to start out with a small batches first any help is appreciated

Whatever's in the budget! I have no Mr. Beer experience but it seems like a good start.

I have the money for the kits but don't want to brew 5 gal at a time to start out with just want to get my feet wet and advance from there

idk man i would say get the five gallon setup its really only a couple cases a gallon of beer is 10 beers . its a few hours per batch either way . hope this helps have fun:tank:

I do agree that five gallons goes quick, and there never seems to be a lack of people willing to accept a few handouts.

Being new to brewing also, I say feta starter kit for 5 gal also. You will quickly start to find recipes you want to make and may not be able to do it on a Mr Beer.

I also will say in four months I have done four batches with two completely gone, one on tap next week and one fermenting away. People will during free beer anytime you ask.

But either way have fun with it and welcome to the club, it is addicting.

Well thanks for the quick responses I think I will just go with the 5 gal kits then you guys are right waiting 4-6 weeks for 10 beers that's a long wait and if it turns out good I will be mad at my self for not doing a big brew

Get a basic 5 gallon starter kit. They work just fine for 2 1/2 gallons and you still have the ability to do 5 gallon batches. Be prepared to buy a second fermenter as it is hard to wait for a beer to finish before you get the urge to brew another (and another and.....). It's reasonably easy to split a 5 gallon recipe kit into 2 nearly equal parts so you can do two 2 1/2 gallon batches.

I started with 1 gallon kits, and was disappointed when I only got 10 bottles from a batch, I figured if im spending 5+ hours brewing I may as well make a larger batch.

You will be suprised how fast five gallons goes, especially when you share with friends. :)

Britinusa said:
I started with 1 gallon kits, and was disappointed when I only got 10 bottles from a batch, I figured if im spending 5+ hours brewing I may as well make a larger batch.

Agreed. I started with one gallon, creeped up to two, now wishing I had 5!

I'm finding that even my worst homebrew is better than many commercial beers and when you only have 10 or 20, it's easy to become sad :(

I think the kind of kit you get should depend on a couple of factors.

Time, budget, and interest.

If your just starting out a 1 gallon kit is a bit cheaper. It also takes less time to make a one gallon batch, and it is much less expensive to buy the ingredients.

After a few years of brewing ive settled in with four 1 gallon jugs for test batches, two 3 gallon jugs for BIAB all grain recipes, and two 6 gallon jugs for doing Mini-mash recipes.

I like to brew every weekend but don't always have the money to spend on a 5 or 6 gallon batch. I keep myself satisfied with my 1 gallon batches. I do a 3 gallon batch when one of my kegs goes dry, and i do a 5 or 6 gallon batch when i need to stock up a little bit.

Plus my one gallon batches are a great way to see if a recipe works, before i shoot the works and make a 5 gallon batch of the same.

I started with the Brooklyn Brew Shops kit and a few of their recipe bags. It seemed like a good way to get a handle on the basic process.

I bought the Brooklyn brew shop book. Lots of recipes that are broken down into one and five gallon recipes. I've made four of their beers and have been happy with each one. I think so far it's been about 10$ a gallon buying grain n hops at lhbs.

Brooklyn brew shop is where i got my first kits from, I still do a one gallon kit if its an experimental brew and im not sure how it will turn out.

Thanks guys yeah I think I'm going to start with the 1 gal kit to get my feet wet and to use as my experimental kit then I will step up to a big carboy. I like to drink shock top style beers.

So I went ahead and order the small batch kit from northern brewer to start with the mad scientist kit that has the brew book and all the testing stuff so now I have to wait till next weekend to try it out can't wait. I got it with the Irish red

Mmmmmm.....beer.....

Is it all grain or extract?

Order stuff for another batch. When you bottle the first, you will have another one ready.

After you have your first beer, you will be hooked!!!! I am no expert brewer yet, but- I'd drink one of my home brew any day over most commercial beers!

It's extract kit to start with this will be my first ever brew so let's see how this goes first but I hear you guys on getting another kit :mug:

So I'm getting ready to start brewing should I start by buying mr.beer kit or get a kit from LHBS I want to start out with a small batches first any help is appreciated

If you don't want to do 5 gallons I would do 3 gallon batches. I'd get a 5 gallon better bottle carboy for a primary and a 3 gallon better bottle for the secondary.

The only problem is that you won't be able to buy kits and you'd have a little less beer. I'm sure you could get recipes or help from people on scaling down recipes and eventually you'll be able to do it yourself. Also, unless you plan on giving away most of your beer, 30 beers are fine, especially if you plan on still buying some beer from the store.

The advantages are...
1. Save time on heating water
2. Save time on bottling
3. Get better yeast pitching rates
4. More opportunity for experimentation since you will have less beer
5. You'll be able to easily do a full boil on the stove
6. You won't have to use extract. You'd easily be able to do a BIAB method on the stove
7. If you ever decide you want to brew larger batches, you could easily buy a 6 gallon carboy as a primary and use the 5 gallon carboy as the secondary.

check out smallbatchbrewing.wordpress.com

My LHBS won't carry Mr. Beer because they say that people buy one of those kits and never brew again. The quality isn't there and the experience is limited. It's kinda like making a box of brownies and calling yourself a baker.

You may want to grab a second fermenting vessel. After the first batch is brewed, you will very likely get the "itch". I typically have 3-4 beers going at a time now.

Well I went with the small batch kit first because I want to try it out to see if I'm really going to like this hobby which I'm sure I will. And I didn't want to mess up a full 5 gal batch and have to listen to the boss talk crap lol

It's true. I'm trying to build up my cellar and so my homebrews are occasional treats, one at a time. Once in a while I'll grab a sampler of 6 and bring them to a friend's house. I still have crates that seem to be magically emptying.

I'm looking forward to having a solid pipeline soon!

mttfrog13 said:
If you don't want to do 5 gallons I would do 3 gallon batches. I'd get a 5 gallon better bottle carboy for a primary and a 3 gallon better bottle for the secondary.

The only problem is that you won't be able to buy kits and you'd have a little less beer. I'm sure you could get recipes or help from people on scaling down recipes and eventually you'll be able to do it yourself. Also, unless you plan on giving away most of your beer, 30 beers are fine, especially if you plan on still buying some beer from the store.

The advantages are...
1. Save time on heating water
2. Save time on bottling
3. Get better yeast pitching rates
4. More opportunity for experimentation since you will have less beer
5. You'll be able to easily do a full boil on the stove
6. You won't have to use extract. You'd easily be able to do a BIAB method on the stove
7. If you ever decide you want to brew larger batches, you could easily buy a 6 gallon carboy as a primary and use the 5 gallon carboy as the secondary.

check out smallbatchbrewing.wordpress.com

Agreed. I started with one gallon all grain....ten beers were drank the day they were ready.....so- I stepped up to two gallon. 20 beers is better, but, 30 would be much better!!!! I'm going 5 gal next month, so, 5o will be just enough!,

I've never done an extract, but, all grain is nice because you can adjust the recipe size pretty easy with a bit of math.

Back