Can I brew beer with this liquid malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badbaker44

Reaction score
I have come across a full unopened pail of this and want to know the following.

1. Can I use it to brew beer?
2. If yes to above what kinds of beers can I make?
3. I have limited knowledge of brewing and have only made Coopers kits so far. If I wanted to make a nice bitter ale what would I need to do? What kind of hops to use? I use Corny kegs to carb and store my beer.

Any help and feedback would be much appreciate.

Thanks,

Ian

image-2528126148.jpg

So, ya "came across" a big bucket of LME, did ya?

It didn't happen to "fall" of the "back" of a "truck" did it?

(I kid, I kid ...)

"Non-diastatic" ... so google/Magic 8-ball returns this link ...

Malt can be diastatic or non-diastatic. Non-diastatic is simply added as a sweetener, diastatic malt breaks down the starch in dough to yield sugars on which the yeast can feed. Having some around in long fermented breads is very important.

... but you're not breaking down other starches in, say, flour (breadmaking). You're just converting the sugar to alcohol, right? I don't know. Maybe they said "non-diastatic" because the bucket came from a bakery context? So it should be good for brewing? Again, I don't know. It's Friday. Whee.

Yes, you can brew beer with that! Assuming it's not spoiled or something. Great score! How did you "come across" it? I see it's corn and barley. Not sure on the type of beer but maybe anything that normally calls for flaked corn along with barley and use that instead? I'd do some steeped/mashed grains with it too, not try to use it straight up. No more than 5 pounds of that per 5 gallon batch. Looking forward to seeing any suggestions you may get. Maybe search recipes for flaked corn and try to adapt a recipe.

I am a baker by trade and this Was provided to me by a supplier to use in my artisan bread bakery. In my bakery, I used a diastatic dried malt powder and not liquid. But since this supplier was so generous, I didn't say no :). It is fresh and unopened.

Would anyone be able to steer me in the right direction with a recipe for a nice bitter English ale using this LME?

Thanks,

Ian

it say corn and malted barley 40/60.

is this 40% or 60% corn extract?

so whats the cost of a 30kg bucket of the bakery stuff?

This pail of LME I worth about $300. I got the spec sheet with it an its 40% corn malt and 60% barley malt.

Cream ale should work. Corn and barley also makes me thing of some type of lager.

If I were you(and I wish I was you, so jealous), I'd go to the recipes section of this site or search for recipes including corn and barley, then adapt it to what you have to work with. Look for a cream ale recipe close to those ratios. Extra barley is cheap to add, if needed to make up for the 40% corn. I don't know any recipes for using corn extract(to replace flaked corn maybe?), but if you can find a couple in the recipes sections, I'll take a stab at telling you how to convert it to your starting ingredients. Since you have so much, I'd start with that as a base and work from there. Find a recipe that calls for barley and corn as main ingredients! Tell us what you find that you might want to try. I find it much easier to find a recipe and alter it than come up with a completely new one. Probably the same with most others.

Or maybe someone will come along with a recipe for you....

Using 6-6.5 pounds of it for a hybrid lager would be one possibility. I used WL029 German ale/kolsh yeast,it's ideal temp range being 65-69F is perfect for ale brewers to make a hybrid lager that does seem to taste clean & a bit crisp like a lager. Even moreso if you have the equipment to lager it. Use German hops with some Czech saaz to get a lil more of that spicy crispness of euro lagers. A lil touch of malt sweetness is ok too for that euro quality.
So maybe look for a recipe for a lager & try the WL029 yeast as an ale brewer...

That's the beauty of it. Although it didn't say what color it is SRM-wise,or if it's extra light,light,etc. But a hybrid lager or kolsh would be good & easy. But the WL029 ale/kolsh yeast is the only kolsh type I found that doesn't require lager fermenting temps to get about the same result. The WL029 yeast rocks,I def like it for that type of beer,fermenting between 65-69F like I mentioned. It'd be easier for the op to get a good result from a kolsh or hybrid lager.

That's the beauty of it. Although it didn't say what color it is SRM-wise,or if it's extra light,light,etc. But a hybrid lager or kolsh would be good & easy. But the WL029 ale/kolsh yeast is the only kolsh type I found that doesn't require lager fermenting temps to get about the same result. The WL029 yeast rocks,I def like it for that type of beer,fermenting between 65-69F like I mentioned. It'd be easier for the op to get a good result from a kolsh or hybrid lager.

Sorry, missed your above post. Definitely agree!

I figured it was a good idea,since it has 40% corn in it. Lagers use that,so it was the first thought in my mind...:mug:

Ok gang, a little explanation here, MOST of the LME you use in your kits in NONDIASTATIC. It simply means you can't convert your steeping grains with it, like you can with 2-row in all grain brewing....OR if you had the more rarer DIASTATIC Extract.

That IS the same stuff we use every day...just labeled straight from the maltser and NOT packaged with a kit.

Like others have said it's a perfect blend for cream ales, kolshes, or lagers....or as a base with some darker steeping grains.

But for a cream ale, all you need to do, and using a calculator like beercalculus, figure out the gravity of the cream ale you want, and how hoppy you want it. I make a pretty hoppy cream ale with an OG of 1.060 and 22IBUs.

So with your extract and some of your favorite hops (I use centennial and casacade) I would do this.

8# of extract
1/2 ounce of cascade @ 60
.4 ounces of cascade @ 30
.25 ounces of Centennial @ 15
.25 ounces of centennial @ 5

Use your favorite dry or liquid ale yeast, or cream ale blend.

Dry hop with the remaining 1/2 ounce of centennial for a week before bottling or kegging (if you want)

A simple straight forward beer, which is what a cream ale really is.

40% corn is a lot.

I'd probably use it, (ok, I'd DEFINITELY use it! :D) but I'd use some more regular DME or LME as well so that the percentage of corn is lower.

Something like this:

1 pound crystal 10L
3 pounds light DME
3.5 pounds of your LME
.50 ounce of bittering hops (magnum, northern brewer, well, anything pretty much! at about 7-8% AAUs) 60 minutes
.25 oz flavor hops at 15 minutes (for an Englishy flavor, use fuggles or EKG/ for American type hops use cascade; for German, use noble hops)
.25 oz flavor hops at 5 minutes (same hop variety)

Steep grains for 20 minutes, and remove. Add 2 pounds DME and bring to a boil.
Add hops as directed.
At flame out, stir in the DME until not lumpy, and then the LME. Let sit for 5 minutes, then cool and pitch yeast.

For an English type of bitter, use an English yeast strain. For American, use S05 for dry yeast, and for a German ale, use either S05 or German ale yeast.

If you want a more bitter beer, keep the recipe the same but go with .75 ounce of bittering hops at 60 minutes.

Back