Belgian Imperial Stout - thoughts/comments welcome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetcell

Protruding Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
here is my current recipe for a belgian imperial stout that i will be brewing in a week or two. all comments welcome.
Code:
Belgian Imperial Stout (witty name forthcoming)
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.0 gal 	
Boil Time: 120 min 	
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80%
OG: 1.101
IBU: 60.1
Color: 42.3 SRM

Mash Ingredients
Amt 		Name 				Type 	# 	%/IBU
8 lbs 		Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) 	Grain 	1 	38.6 %
4 lbs 		Maris Otter (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) 	Grain 	2 	19.3 %
3 lbs 		Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) 		Grain 	3 	14.5 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz 	Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) 		Grain 	4 	7.2 %
12.0 oz 	Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) 	Grain 	5 	3.6 %
12.0 oz 	Chocolate (Dingemans) (340 SRM) Grain 	6 	3.6 %
12.0 oz 	Special B Malt (130.0 SRM) 	Grain 	7 	3.6 %
8.0 oz 		Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) 	Grain 	8 	2.4 %
8.0 oz 		Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) 	Grain 	9 	2.4 %

Boil Ingredients
Amt 		Name 				Type 	# 	%/IBU
1 lbs 		D-180 Candi Syrup (180.0 SRM) 	Sugar 	10 	4.8 %
2.00 oz 	Legacy [7.80 %] - Boil 60 min 	Hop 	11 	42.2 IBUs
1.50 oz 	Legacy [7.80 %] - Boil 30 min 	Hop 	12 	24.3 IBUs

Yeast: Wyeast Canadian/Belgian 3864 (cake from a previous batch, washed)

FG: aiming for 1.028, but who knows... i'm flexible.
ABV: 9.7% @ 1.028.
variations i'm considering:
- dropping the MO and going all pilsner as my base malt
- replacing chocolate with chocolate rye
- replacing some of the initial base malt with post-fermentation sucrose (table sugar) additions

this will be bulk-aged with oak chips.

That sounds...interesting! I think I've had a beer in that genre before. It was quite nice! I would love to hear how this one turns out! Let's fast forward a month to see how it turns out!!

Whoa. I have literally no experience with this kind of thing, but my gut would say go all pilsener like you're thinking. I don't really see a need for the caramunich either since you're going to get plenty of color and depth from other malts and D-180.

I would also replace a little of the malt with sugar post fermentation like you're thinking just to lighten things up a bit. I use turbinado in a lot of dark beers and Belgian beers and have been getting great results. Gets some kind of rummy things going on if you use the right quantity and also lends some color.

But like I said I have no experience with anything like this, it's just kind of my gut reaction :D Hope it turns out well whatever way you go!

thanks for your thoughts!

i think this brew is going to need more than a month of aging to hit its prime. of course i'll need to taste after a month to confirm this and to set a comparison point :D

hum, i see your point about the caramunich. my point of adding it is for "mid-range" character. there are a lot of dark malts (special B, chocolate, roasted) but nothing in the lighter range. but maybe the caramunich won't even be perceptible... TBD.

I don't think it would ruin it or anything like that, and I can see where you're coming from. My only experience on this is coming from when I did a porter back in early February with I believe 7 different malts. To me it's almost just like malt soup, kind of confusing to the pallet. It's like beer syrup or something :p It's starting to come around and meld now, but it shouldn't have taken two months when the OG was only like 1.056 or something.

Anyhow it was just food for thought. Your recipe is a very different animal from what I did and the Belgian yeast and D-180 and stuff are going to give it a very different character. Plus I know you'll let it condition for longer than two months before passing judgement.

Back