My LHBS gave me old yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
The earliest MFG date for the yeast I needed was 15 Jan 2013. As per the online calculator I need to make a 3L starter :mad: I can only make 1.5L because I use a 1/2 GAL growler for my starters. The viability of the wyeast is 33% :mad: Am I going to have an issue with this large belgian I am making? The gravity is estimated at 1.065. The yeast is Wyeast Trappist 3787.

If you crash cool the starter and decant the 'beer' you can then add fresh wort and step up the starter.

I have no idea what "steping up the starter" means. The recipe OG should be no more than 1.065, will this really be an issue?

I have no idea what "steping up the starter" means. The recipe OG should be no more than 1.065, will this really be an issue?

basically you make 2 starters

first starter to bring check the viability of the yeast and bring yeast up to original package rates

then decant starter into another starter to bring up to pitchable rate.

this will just take a little longer stir plate would be preferable.

this is the same methods as you would need to do as from a yeast slant. except from a slant you many need to step up 3-4 times to get a picthable size of yeast

basically you make 2 saterters

Yeah but the more DME I use it becomes more expensive than just buying another packet. I do have yeast nutrient, will this help? I do not have a stir plate and I use a growler for my starters.

Yeah but the more DME I use it becomes more expensive than just buying another packet. I do have yeast nutrient, will this help?

Four oz of dme is significantly cheaper than a packet of yeast. Check out yeastcalc.com it will do the calcs for ya.

Four oz of dme is significantly cheaper than a packet of yeast. Check out yeastcalc.com it will do the calcs for ya.

Actually Brewers Friend calc recommends only 2 step starter for a total of 9oz of DME. Should I start this now if I'm brewing on Friday? Also what about yeast nutrient? Will this help?

I always use nutrient in my starters and also in the kettle.

What I do to step up is cool my flask in the fridge until the 'beer' is clear and there is a thin layer of yeast sitting on the bottom of the flask. I then pour off most of the 'beer' and add another batch of wort (starter) to the flask and then back to the stir plate.

This way, I can make a 4L starter in a 2L flask. Capiche?

I always use nutrient in my starters and also in the kettle.

What I do to step up is cool my flask in the fridge until the 'beer' is clear and there is a thin layer of yeast sitting on the bottom of the flask. I then pour off most of the 'beer' and add another batch of wort (starter) to the flask and then back to the stir plate.

This way, I can make a 4L starter in a 2L flask. Capiche?

Easy enough, thanks! I'm guessing that I should add about 1/4 tsp of nutrient after the boil.

Latest posts

Back