Using a flase bottom in kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narl79

Reaction score
would anyone out there ust a 9 inch false bottom in a keggle or would it get clogged up to bad with the hops???

Use the biggest you can afford. I wouldn't think that it would clog with hops. Pellet hops just turn into sludge that gets sucked straight through diptube and out. Leaf hops should go into a bag or they would clog anything. I assume a 9 inch would work, but bigger is better:)

Funny, I didn't even catch the boil kettle part. Answered the question without even reading the question:)

I've considered this for my keggle to help with super hoppy beers. Curious to see what happens.

I would think unless you cover the entire bottom of the kettle, it wouldn't be much more useful than a bazooka screen or similar. Then you'd have a flat surface for stuff to collect on if you do a whirlpool. I prefer leaf hops when I can get them and I would love to have a false bottom in my kettle for that purpose. The bazooka screen I have doesn't always cut it. I often find myself pushing mounds of hops away from the screen to get every last drop out. I always put pellets in bags when I use them. I don't think there is a single solution out there that doesn't clog from pellet hop mess.

Back