Porter critique request

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nowickisrj

Reaction score
I am just got the itch to start formulating all grain recipes and wanted to get some advice on the first project. I am looking to brew a porter; does this build seem reasonable, or is there something which would create be off-style?

Anticipated yield 5 Gallons

Pale malt (mostly American with ~1lb Maris Otter): 7.53 lbs
crystal 80L: 1.05 lbs
Chocolate: 0.92 lbs
East Kent Goldings, 4.8%AA, .73 oz, 60 min
East Kent Goldings, 4.8%AA, .60 oz, 15 min
Fuggle : 4.0%AA, .75 oz, 5 min
Wyeast 1084
1 tsp gypsum

Mash temp: 153
Mash time: 60 min
Boil time: 60 min

I'm by no means an expert but I think most porters have Black Patent malt as well. Your recipe will make a good beer, possibly a brown porter. I'll punch it into beersmith and let you know.

Well, I'd get rid of the gypsum as I don't like added sulfate in a roasty nonhoppy beer.

And I don't know how much roast you'd like but less than a pound of chocolate malt is much more of a brown ale than a porter.

If you want a porter, I'd start with the basics. If you want a brown porter, then I'd suggest going with some brown malt in the grainbill (10%).

But for a robust porter, I'd increase the maltiness with some character malt (like a Munich malt) and add some black patent to get to the "porter" character.

I like the yeast and a pound of crystal malt, but I'd probably go with 40L and not 80L crystal for the sweetness to balance the roast of a porter.

According to BS you've got a low abv, slightly dark brown porter.
Based on 70% efficiency.
Listen to Yooper (I do) Crystal 60 at the highest °L. I love a roasty porter so I would add Black Patent. Maybe 1/4lb up to 1lb depending on what you're going for. I would also increase the base malt to bring the ABV up a bit. I have no experience with gypsum so can't comment on that. I like the late hop edition though. I've got a porter with some late Chinook additions in the fermenter now.

Thank you for the advice.

I do think I will add in some black patent malt for a bit more roast. I was going with the 80L Crystal as it is left over, but you make a good point about going to 40L to balance out the black patent malt. I'll strike the gypsum.

May up the ABV 5.0% or so, but I want to keep it fairly low for variety's sake.

Back