AG DFH 120 Clone and an epiphany on high FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velliety

Reaction score
So I've been back into brewing (AG- BIAB) for about 6 months, and have been upgrading my equipment a little at a time. I borrowed my Dad's turkey fryer at first - then I bought my own and gave him back his so he could fry turkeys in it. And then I got a bigger kettle so I didn't have to sparge.

My last 3 batches have finished high, crazy high. Of course I blamed my crush (and my LHBS). It couldn't possibly be anything that I was doing wrong. So when I was putting my grain bill together for my DFH 120 clone, I ordered my grain elsewhere. For the 120, I watched my mash temp like a hawk, added the insane amount of sugar called for and the insane amount of hops called for, made my starters for both yeasts - and yes, I finished crazy high. AGAIN! That stuff is so sweet it's almost undrinkable. I'm going to have to oak it or cut it with another brew just to drink it. And darn it, I've spent too much on that batch not to drink it.

So I started thinking back - my Dad's turkey fryer didn't have a thermometer, so I used the digital one I use when roasting meat in the oven. When I bought my own, I said "Oh look, a thermometer - free with the fryer!" and I've been using it for every batch that's finished high. I just went and tested the fryer thermometer - yep, it's off. By about 20 degrees. So I've been mashing in WAY too high.

Grumble. Test those stupid fryer thermometers before you use them.

Back