How often do you replace your buckets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdsutton

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a number of batches, or some other time frame fro replacing your buckets? Do you just replace when it breaks, or gets an infection that will not clean up?

Just wondering what others do.

Martin

I think the general rule of thumb that most people follow is to replace if they scratch or otherwise damage the interior.

On the other hand, I'm still using the same bucket I started with in 1995, and have never had a problem after hundreds of batches. I've expanded my fermenter collection, but that original bucket still chugs along.

CastleHollow said:
I think the general rule of thumb that most people follow is to replace if they scratch or otherwise damage the interior.

On the other hand, I'm still using the same bucket I started with in 1995, and have never had a problem after hundreds of batches. I've expanded my fermenter collection, but that original bucket still chugs along.

I have all my original equipment, and I haven't had any issues.

I do replace hoses every year or two.

Buckets will last indefinately if you keep them clean & don't scratch the inside with abrasive cleaners,pads,or stacking them. I think stacking them is the most common way they get scratched. And soaking them clean is a really good way NOT to scratch them. I soak'em for 5-7 days,the LIGHTLY scrub'em with the bottle brush. And I do mean LIGHTLY,where the plastic bristles on the brush don't bend much. The cleaner should've had the dirt & gunk really loose by this point anyway. Then drain into home depot bucket & discard cleaner. Rinse,dry,& store wit lid loose on top of bucket. I also use a scrap of paper or junk mail to cover the grommet hole in the lid to keep those pesky lil flies out of them.

Back