Keeping / Recarbonating Soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frozen

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I like to purchase 2L bottles of my favorite soda (Coke Zero) since it is the most cost effective unit. The drawback is that unless you finish the bottle the same day the taste starts to deteriorate. So my idea was to build a DIY carbonation device and hopefully extend the taste indefinitely. So I went ahead and made a successful DIY carbonation system and went about my business.

My reason for posting today is that the taste is close but still not the same. I was hoping to get some advice on how I could better maintain the original taste.

My technique: I've cooling my soda and then using it as needed and before I put it away I squeeze the bottle and remove all the air. Then I force about 60 PSI of co2 back into the bottle give it a quite shake and do a second co2 injection.

With my system I can increase the pressure as high as needed, and I have a gauge so I can get the pressure to where it needs to be.

Anyone have any experience with keeping soda carbonated?

Thanks!
-Frozen

Back