First Brew Day, forgot to get original gravity.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mordhaus

Reaction score
My first day went very well except in my haste to pitch the yeast I was proud of myself for re-hydrating, I forgot to get an original gravity reading. Is it too late? I'm afraid to disturb or remove any yeast by using my thief after I've pitched. Thoughts?

I just did my first two batches last week and didn't get an OG either (didn't buy a hydrometer yet) but I am fermenting in the primary for 3 weeks and then bottle condition for 2, will definitely be done. They haven't always had a hydrometer ya know!

Yea its to late, not worth disturbing anything, if its a kit your problably not to far off just see what the final gravity is and see if its in the range the kit suggests

Not a problem. For an extract batch, the OG will be dead on as long as you measured the volumes correctly. Commercially prepared extract is quite reliable.

Congrats on your first batch! You could take a sample now but really, never mind and just let it go and ferment. Next batch you will remember to take an OG. :D

Don't go back into your beer at this point - just leave it alone. No big deal. If you brewed an extract beer, and you used all the extract, and you ended up with the volume you were supposed to (probably 5 gallons if it is a normal kit) your gravity is exactly what it said it would be...... there is not way it could be anything other than that. You can be pretty confident that the gravity you started with is what it was advertised as.

Yeah, sorry I didn't mention it was an extract kit. Northern Brewer's Caribou Slobber. All my other measurements were spot on. I even put hot water in the extract container and agitated it to get every last bit of extract out. I was kind of surprised to get home from dinner and already hear bubbles in the blow off container. It's only been in the keezer for 3 1/2 hours, enjoying a cool 66 degrees. Thanks for the speedy responses, gents!

Latest posts

Back