Expanding this year

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MobyMD

Reaction score
I started growing hops last year with one Willamette rhizome. It took hold well and produced 4-5oz. I loved using the fresh hops so I wanted more varieties. I ordered 10 rhizomes from Thyme Garden each of a different type. They came about two weeks ago and were in great shape. They have been in the ground for one week. So far 8/10 of the new ones have bines coming up!

Here is a list of the types that I have
Willamette (2nd year)
Zeus
Fuggle (has not come up yet)
Mt. Hood
Galena
Sterling
Nugget
Kent Golding
Cascade (has not come up yet)
Magnum
Centennial

I am going to be working on getting what I need for the trellis this week and hopefully put it up next weekend.

Yeah it is quite a lot. I couldn't find much information about what kinds of hops people have successfully grown in North Carolina. I wanted to see how each variety does.

I am also expanding my hops this year and trying a few new varieties.

I originally planted, 8 rhizomes on a single pole all too close together...

Willamette
Mt. Hood
Fuggle
Tentang
Cascade
Hallertau
Centennial
Golding

This year I am putting in basically a 50' run just like a real hop yard, two 18-24' poles anchors beyond that and a main cable...then planting two each rhizomes of the following 4' apart in a straight line with full sunlight sunrise to sunset...will try to do a drip irrigation from a natural spring too.

Cascade
Centenial
Mt. Hood
Nugget
Sterling
Willamette

If this works I might expand and actually start a small hop farm...I have learned enough to be dangerous and still experimenting but its half the fun, reading and learning and trying new things. All the best.

That is awesome Waorgany! I should have planted mine further apart as well but didn't have the space. I have two rows of five and going to run a single line in the middle between two 18 foot posts. I don't plan to go as big as you though. Good luck!

It is a new year for growing hopes! Last year the hops didn't make a whole lot of cones but I really wasn't expecting much. I let them grow wild for the most part and really tried to get the root structure developed. The Zeus, Nugget, Mt Hood and Galena did the best. This year they all sprang up quickly. I am redoing the trellis this evening to better support the weight and handle the wind. Hoping for a good harvest this year!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back