Honey IIPA critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForrestWoods

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm brewing with my club in my first Big Brew Day and was wondering if you could take a peak at my recipe and tell me what you think. We start with 1.050 wort then go from there.

6gal 1.050 wort
1lb honey malt (steep)
3/4lb carapils (steep)
3lb light DME 10 min
24oz local honey 10 min

2oz Citra 60 min
1oz Citra 15 min
1oz Citra 5 min
1oz Citra flame out

2oz Citra dry hop

Yeast supplies by local breweries

Thoughts? Questions? Concerns?
Thanks guys, can't wait for my first big brew day!

....... What's the recipe ? Their is no way to critique anything as you haven't provided a grain bill. Unless you mean your just using only 2 -row to get to a OG of 1.050 and then adding the other ingredients. I think if that's the case your goin to have a pretty high OG with appx 3 pounds of honey and another 3 pounds of dme. Could you give us more info in the 1.050 wort.

Aschecte said:
....... What's the recipe ? Their is no way to critique anything as you haven't provided a grain bill. Unless you mean your just using only 2 -row to get to a OG of 1.050 and then adding the other ingredients. I think if that's the case your goin to have a pretty high OG with appx 3 pounds of honey and another 3 pounds of dme. Could you give us more info in the 1.050 wort.

I guess I could have been a bit more specific. Iron Hill Brewery is supplying us with 1.050 wort from 2 Row. My OG should be just under 1.100 with the 1.5lbs of honey and DME

Sorry about that I misread the honey malt as just honey..... That's why I thought their was 3 pounds of honey....... I think this looks like a pretty good recipe are you guys shooting for like a honey pale ale ? As to the honey you could go two directions either add it at the beginning of the boil and this will add to color as it carmelizes as well as give more flavor from the carmelized sugars. Or add it at the end to just add the sugar and this will help dry the beer out. What yeast are you using ? Whatever yeast make sure to make a big starter for a beer of that size. Also, consider adding a few more grains for complexity like Vienna or a light Munich. Best of luck and enjoy the group brew day !!!

Sorry about that I misread the honey malt as just honey..... That's why I thought their was 3 pounds of honey....... I think this looks like a pretty good recipe are you guys shooting for like a honey pale ale ? As to the honey you could go two directions either add it at the beginning of the boil and this will add to color as it carmelizes as well as give more flavor from the carmelized sugars. Or add it at the end to just add the sugar and this will help dry the beer out. What yeast are you using ? Whatever yeast make sure to make a big starter for a beer of that size. Also, consider adding a few more grains for complexity like Vienna or a light Munich. Best of luck and enjoy the group brew day !!!

no worries, thanks for the reply. im shooting for a hopslamish ipa. i figured id use the honey at the end of the boil to help dry out the beer since ill be using the dme and honey malt. still pretty new to all this, can the the vienna or munich be steeped? we wont be mashing since the brewery will have done it already. any other suggestions? not sure of the yeast yet as the brewery will be providing that as well. i know last year there were 5 or 6 types of yeast available. not too worried about pitching tho, this will be my third batch, the other two were a 10.5% RIS and a 13% barleywine :rockin:

From what I've learnt, adding the honey during the boil (or even at flameout) will give a higher abv, but as the sugars in the honey will be eaten by the yeast, it will lose most of its honey flavour. (Obviously you still have the honey malt for that). If you want the local honey to have more of an impact flavour-wise you might consider racking on top of it in secondary , though this would reduce the abv. That said, there's nothing saying you can't maybe split it and do both. M kinda just spitballing here.

Back