About time I introduce myself...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordmi

Reaction score
Hi all. Here is my obligatory intro post. Why do I always feel like intros are like filling out a dating site profile? Haha.

So my name is Mike, I'm in Huntington Beach, CA and have been into the craft scene for 2 years or so and although started with homebrewing around the same time, it has been more serious in the past 6 months or so. I've had some very successful extract batches and some biabs and am now moving to AG. I have been reading quite a bit on this site and have learned a lot. It has definitely helped me make good decisions and not waste money, which I sincerely appreciate.

I went with the 10 gallon Rubbermaid (home depot) version HLT and MLT config. Going with a 12 inch round false bottom because for some reason fly sparging seems to appeal more to me than batch, but I did buy a ss braid so that I can give both a go. Still looking to legally (and morally) obtain a keg for keggle conversion and am having no luck. If this keeps up I may just buy a nice big ss kettle. I have a pretty nice 2 tap sanyo kegerator (my SWMBO was nice enough to get me for my bday 2 years back) with, 4 cornies on the way along with all I need to convert my sanke couplings to ball locks. I also have a Sanyo mini fridge for cans, bottles, growlers and what not. I have, however, considered turning it into a fermenting chamber a few times haha.

Ok, this is getting long winded so I will cut it off here. It's nice to meet everybody. This forum has already been a great resource and I look forward to participating and helping if and when I can.

Hi, Mike! I'm Jim, from Reed City, Michigan. I'm about 5' 10", salt and pepper hair, and love to drink beer and have a good time.

Uh, so anyway, I have purchased a couple of kegs for brewing with over the years and they can be hard to find and their legality can be suspect as well. I think if I had to do it all over again, I'd buy a NICE SS kettle. Yes, they are a bit more money, but they are so much easier to find and are easier to clean and turn into a useful piece of brewing hardware.

Either way will work fine, so no worries. I personally have only batch sparged, although I may dabble in fly sparging once I get my electric system up and running. Just to try it anyway. I'll already be recirculating my mash at that point, so it kind of makes sense to just continue to recirc, but with sparge water at the end of the mash.

Cheers!

Hi Jim, thanks for the welcome. I've actually been giving electric some serious thought lately. It would be nice to move the brewing inside the garage and have a fixed set up. Maybe I will have to do some more searching and reading...

Back