Sanitizing after a vigorous fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conal

Reaction score
Just had a carboy blow its top and just finished cleanup and dealing with it. I used a cloth soaked in sanitizer to wipe the outside of the carboy then I cleaned the airlock and sanitized it again, then replaced it. Anyone have any tips on how to deal with this situation to best avoid infection and ruining the beer?

A blow off tube would be the best method.

As far as what you did, I can say from experience that you just need to cover the opening with a washcloth soaked in sanitizer while you clean and sanitize the airlock. It's at high krausen so your risk of critters surviving to infect are low.

Thanks! I thought of that washcloth but worried about krausen touching sanitizer causing some to get in... It's calmed down now... It was my first time rehydrating yeast and didn't expect such a reaction... Never had to consider a blowout tube before when I pitched dry yeast on top...

Back