saison off flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
brewed first saison. used wlp565 and finished off with wyeast 3711. only been about a week in keg, but im noticing an astringent flavor ive never picked up before, somewhat medicinal. the only thing i can think of is i used 1/2 oz of bitter orange peel at 5min left boil. when i racked to primary i couldnt filter out the orange peel, so in it all went with primary fermentation. was this bad the orange peel was in through fermentation (22 days)? anyone notice off-flavor from this? maybe just needs more time in keg? usually all my beers are drinkable at about 1 week in keg, turn much better at few weeks. not sure if this needs more time, im not familiar with saison yeast.

brewed first saison. used wlp565 and finished off with wyeast 3711. only been about a week in keg, but im noticing an astringent flavor ive never picked up before, somewhat medicinal. the only thing i can think of is i used 1/2 oz of bitter orange peel at 5min left boil. when i racked to primary i couldnt filter out the orange peel, so in it all went with primary fermentation. was this bad the orange peel was in through fermentation (22 days)? anyone notice off-flavor from this? maybe just needs more time in keg? usually all my beers are drinkable at about 1 week in keg, turn much better at few weeks. not sure if this needs more time, im not familiar with saison yeast.

i've found steeping the peels in water and adding to boil (like 1-2 quarts / .25 to .5 gals) provides my brew with a soft, noticeable citrus taste - did it with a 3711 with 4-6 clementines peeled - you obviously want to factor this method into your pre-boil volume qts/lb of grain

I doubt the peel did it. Probably a bi-product of fermentation. It may or may not change.

Is it normal to use two different yeasts on a saison? Just wondering if that has something to do with it.

Is it normal to use two different yeasts on a saison? Just wondering if that has something to do with it.

I just brewed two different Saison beers. One with Danstar Belle Saison and the other with WLP 568. Putting the many posts on these together, it was apparent that 5 days or so at room temperature, followed by a few days of elevated temperature was called for. So I put a heating blanket next to the fermenter after 5 days and raised temp to about 85 degrees. Both finished below 1.003. They taste very good. You'll find posts on problems with stalled fermentation, but I found in these two cases that there is not problem if you raise the temp for a few days.

A medicinal flavor is probably yeast phenols. What temp did you ferment at? What temp did you pitch at, what temp did you start fermentation at and what temp did you end it at?

A medicinal flavor is probably yeast phenols. What temp did you ferment at? What temp did you pitch at, what temp did you start fermentation at and what temp did you end it at?

Pitched and fermented at 70 (temp controlled). At 5 days pitched wyeast 3711 and let temp rise to 75. Primary only, 22 days. FG 1.008

Back