First Partial Mash: Any suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bungalowbrew

Reaction score
Greetings all,
Brand new to the forum and wanted to get some advise/suggestions for an upcoming first partial mash. Here's the recipe:
Briess Golden Light Liquid Extract: 6.9 lbs
Belgian Pilsner: 1 lb.
Belgian Pale Ale: 1 lb.
Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt: 1 lb.
Clear Candi Sugar: 1 lb.
Briess Golden Light Dry Extract: 4 oz.
Amarillo Hops: 1oz. @ 60 min, 1oz. @ 5 min
Bitter Orange Peel - 1/2 oz. @ 15 min, 1/2 oz. @ secondary
Irish Moss: 4 oz. @ 15min
Oak Chips: @ secondary
Wyeast Labs Belgian Saison
Mash @ 152
Thanks in advance for any advise/help!
T.

Are you doing BIAB? My advice would be to use as much grain as you can easily fit in your pot and make up the rest of the gravity with extract. Also, I would go with a few specialty grains in addition to the base malts that you have listed. I personally like to get the color from the grains and use the lightest extract available. Read through the post that chicken linked you, as it will give you a better idea of what to expect from partial mashing.

I'll check out that link. Don't know if my kettle can accommodate a full BIAB though I'd love to try. Thought the partial mash could be a nice transition? Thanks for the advise and I'll post updates asap!

What size kettle do you have? I wasn't suggesting all grain; I merely meant that you should incorporate less extract and more grain. You're right partial mash is a great way to bridge the gap between extract and all grain.

FWIW, I do a version of BIAB partials. I generally brew in the 1.050s OG range. I brew 11 gallons on brew day. I simply aim for about 7 lbs. of grains and 8 to 9 lbs. DME. I find that 7 lbs. of grain in a bag is manageable to lift from the kettle when the mash is finished. It's a simple process that rewards me with good favors. I will elaborate if it is of interest.

Please elaborate, I appreciate the knowledge. The more I research the more I think BIAB is what I'm looking for. I'm currently using a 30qt. kettle.

Please elaborate, I appreciate the knowledge. The more I research the more I think BIAB is what I'm looking for. I'm currently using a 30qt. kettle.

I moved from extract brewing to what I would call a "hybrid BIAB partial mash" about a 2 years ago. I went over the top and treated myself to a 20 gallon kettle and burner with extension legs from Blichmann (I can drain the kettle directly into two 6.5 gallon carboys.)

I keep it simple. Doing a 1.050ish brew:

I raise 10 gallons to strike temp, 158-160 (to cover the thermometer)
Bag 7-8 lbs of grains and drop it in the kettle
Poke it and dunk it here and there for 60 minutes with the lid on
It generally drops below 145 in an hour, but sometimes I fire the burner for a few minutes
Pull the bag on a big strainer over a two gallon pot and take it to the kitchen
Sparge it with about a half gallon with 170 degree water
Return the runnings to the kettle and bring it all to a boil
Add 7 or 8 lbs of DME
Top it off to about 13 gallons and then bring it to boil
Start the clock and add bittering additions....

It's very simple, but the results have been excellent IMHO.

I have always felt the need to go all grain, but this method has been so good that I am content now. I play with calculators, but in the end this method is the backbone for all that I brew. I just add or subtract DME to adjust my gravity targets based on experience. Its a great way to dip into BIAB and mashing. I know that many will say the volumes are critical, but I seem to get really good efficiencies this way and the end product makes me happy. And, I have one big vessel to wash afterward.

Hope this is useful info. Cheers!

Very useful, thanks again for the knowledge Early 8 and Sublime. I think it's gonna be a BIAB for this recipe. I think a larger kettle is in my future!!!

You should be just fine with a 30 qt for partial mash. You just need to buy a bag for the grains. The recipe as you have it now will work just fine. As you progress, start using more grain and less extract. Look at some all grain recipes so that you can begin to understand a typical grain bill. Additionally, converting all grain to partial is usually just as simple as swapping some 2 row for pale extract. Just adjust the quantities to get the same OG. Mess around with the recipe builder on Brewer's Friend if you haven't already.

Back