Ok to seal or trust the CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

citingzero

Reaction score
So I made a 3 gallon batch of Ed worts apfelwein 2 weeks ago. I didn't have a spare carboy but I did have a square 4 gallon mayo bucket. I filled it water and shook it around to see if it had a good seal. It didnt leak a drop. The initial idea was to drill a hole for an airlock, but I'm lazy so I just decided to put the top on and leave one corner open. Considering that there is about a gallon of space for the CO2 to sit in the bucket, I figured it would be fine. The question is should I close the bucket and occasionally vent it? Or should I just leave it assume that there isn't enough of a draft to clear the CO2?

So I made a 3 gallon batch of Ed worts apfelwein 2 weeks ago. I didn't have a spare carboy but I did have a square 4 gallon mayo bucket. I filled it water and shook it around to see if it had a good seal. It didnt leak a drop. The initial idea was to drill a hole for an airlock, but I'm lazy so I just decided to put the top on and leave one corner open. Considering that there is about a gallon of space for the CO2 to sit in the bucket, I figured it would be fine. The question is should I close the bucket and occasionally vent it? Or should I just leave it assume that there isn't enough of a draft to clear the CO2?

Oxidation will ruin the cider. You want to reduce headspace and airlock at this point.

I think the logical thing would be to buy 3gals of juice in 1gal jugs. Toss that into a bucket and add a little yeast, nutrient, etc, and set aside. Then clean those jugs and use as primary w/ airlocks for the stuff ready. Repeat every week or so... You'll never run out that way!!!!

Is there really going to be any oxygen getting in? The "open" corner is really only a tiny crack. Since CO2 is heavier than O2, it seems like the CO2 would just sit on top of the cider and keep the O2 off of it. Not trying to argue with you, just reasoning things out...

FlyinDan1017 said:
I think the logical thing would be to buy 3gals of juice in 1gal jugs. Toss that into a bucket and add a little yeast, nutrient, etc, and set aside. Then clean those jugs and use as primary w/ airlocks for the stuff ready. Repeat every week or so... You'll never run out that way!!!!

While that may seem logical for the future, it doesn't help me with this batch

Is there really going to be any oxygen getting in? The "open" corner is really only a tiny crack. Since CO2 is heavier than O2, it seems like the CO2 would just sit on top of the cider and keep the O2 off of it. Not trying to argue with you, just reasoning things out...

Well, this co2 "blanket" wont' last once fermentation ends, and of course even if there was a co2 blanket it wouldn't ever be 100% co2. So, in short, no. The air in the air around you is in your bucket.

It's important once fermentation ends to use a carboy with a very narrow headspace and top up to within an inch or two of the bung.

Oxidation will ruin the cider quickly. If infection doesn't set in first.

Latest posts

Back