any ideas?"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack181

Reaction score
about 20 batches of beers in . i wanted to try an experment with brewing a 5 gal batch of some honey wheat and split it in 2 batches one with wlp 320 yeast(witch was harvest from yeast washing for a batch of wheat beer) and 2nd with a widmer hef yeast (i got with 2 bottles) . i did make a yeast starter with both about 24 hrs befor the honey wheat brew. sanatized with star san everything like i always do . left brew in the buckets for 2 weeks . bottle time comes i tasted both brews befor i put them in bottles, the hef yeast beer tasted good why the other wlp320 has a bit of a bitter/sour taste but not bad. thay been in the bottles about a week now and i tasted both, the one with widmer yeast tasting good why the wlp320 one has a sour after taste (thinking it might just be green still?) i know from the past i had brew not taste right and it got better the longer it sits as i will let this brew sit longer and hope for the best!

honey wheat i brewed

6 lbs lme wheat (added at boil 212 f )
1/2 lb flaked wheat (30 mins @ 154 f)
1/2 lb flaked barley (30 mins @ 154 f)
1/2 lb honey malt (30 mins @ 154 f)
1 oz hallertau hops (60 mins)
1 lb honey (last 10 mins of boil)

yeast:
wlp 320 (washed from a batch of wheat beer)
widmer hef (from 2 bottles of beer)
yeast starter on both!

Back