Red Ale Fast Fermentation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdawson

Reaction score
We made a Red Ale last thursday, 04/04/2013. We did a 5 gallon batch and pitched a Safale S-04. Our OG was 1.040 (ideal from the recipe was 1.044) and there hasn't been much activity in the airlock (I know don't worry about it the yeast are still doing thier job.) We checked today thinking about racking into a secondary fermentation, and our gravity is 1.010. We are confused, should this have fermented this fast? This was Dawson's Red Ale extract kit off of Northernbrewer.com.

FYI. We have done two different batches of wheats and they have turned out very good. So this isnt are first batch but still learning.

We made a Red Ale last thursday, 04/04/2013. We did a 5 gallon batch and pitched a Safale S-04. Our OG was 1.040 (ideal from the recipe was 1.044) and there hasn't been much activity in the airlock (I know don't worry about it the yeast are still doing thier job.) We checked today thinking about racking into a secondary fermentation, and our gravity is 1.010. We are confused, should this have fermented this fast? This was Dawson's Red Ale extract kit off of Northernbrewer.com.

FYI. We have done two different batches of wheats and they have turned out very good. So this isnt are first batch but still learning.

Sure, that seems about right. I've had S04 ferment out overnight before, so it's not uncommon for it to be completely done in 3-5 days.

ok, wow. So we should still rack into a secondary and let it sit another 2 weeks or so, or what?

BTW thanks Yooper!

ok, wow. So we should still rack into a secondary and let it sit another 2 weeks or so, or what?

BTW thanks Yooper!

Well, I never use a secondary (clearing vessel) but you can if you that's your process. I usually bottle at about day 10-14 when I use S04, since it's so clear by then.

Latest posts

Back