Any yeast skimmers out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdwalter

Reaction score
The last batch I brewed, I tasted throughout the fermentation process via a spigot on my fermenter (as to not introduce O2). Day 1-4: delicious. By about day 6, after the Krausen had fallen back through the beer, the taste completely changed. I don't know if this was a coincidence or not, but I believe it developed some astringent off flavors from the krausen.

I have an IPA going right now that I have skimmed twice (with a star-san sanitized utensil) and so far so good. I'm at about day 7 and no strange smell/flavor yet. I'll report my findings when primary is complete.

Anyone else skim the yeast during primary or is this generally a bad practice?

If you carry over a ton of trub and hops then this could be OK but not not disirable IMO
Krausen is comprised of protein, hops, and break material which most people say cause no noticleable off-flavors at our homebrew level.

Your also drinking your beer WAY to young, age is what really makes a beer.
Did the first batch last more than 3 weeks in bottle? Did the astringecy stay/fade?
Good beer is made with time!

Yea the taste never left that one. It's been about 5 weeks now. On a positive note, I'm drinking a Hefeweizen I brewed 4 weeks ago and man it's good. I'm a big fan of Paulaner and I would put this up next to it. First beer I've made without some kind of off flavor. For this one, I had some hot alcohol flavors for the first 2 weeks but now it has melded into a nice brew. During primary I have plastic buckets with spigots, during secondary I use a wine thief to get into my carboy and purge with CO2 after I'm done.

Coincidentally, just read a short article on yeast "skimming". Some commercial brewers still do it apparently. But, at homebrew volumes I doubt it makes any difference.

Back