Do FermWraps Heat Well to 95?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAK

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a saison with WY3724 and I have a FremWrap that I plan to use. I've used it to gently heat into the low 70's before. But I was curious, do these things reliably heat into the 90-95 range? I just got to thinking that I'd hate to assume I can hit that temp, just to find my self with a stuck fermentation because the FermWrap isn't up to the task. It's one of these models:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/fermwrap-heater.html

Can a few people out there say from experience if these can cut the mustard?

Cheers

FermWrap is flexwatt tape. I am currently using it in conjunction with a temp controller for a Saison at 32.5 C (90.5 F) and it works just fine. I have not tried to go to 95 however.

I've gotten mine to 95F before on a saison with 3724. I've read that people without a temp controller have just let theirs go and it got over 100F. If your ambient temp is very cold wrap something around the fermwrap, i.e. something that will not catch fire just in case.

Great. I figure I'll put the carboy in my upstairs closet, where the ambient temp will probably be in the 70's. Glad to hear it can do the job to bump it up another 20* into the 90's.

I used to ferment in the same chest freezer I had my kegs in with insulation around the carboys and a heat wrap to bring it up to whatever temp I wanted. The controller malfunctioned and brought the carboy to 108F in a freezer sitting at 35F.

Great. I figure I'll put the carboy in my upstairs closet, where the ambient temp will probably be in the 70's. Glad to hear it can do the job to bump it up another 20* into the 90's.

I would recommend a temp controller on it. If you don't, it will likely put your carboy over 100 without careful monitoring. By itself, it is not hot to the touch in any one area, but because of the large surface area it actually puts out a lot of heat.

I've used my fermwrap with a temp controller at 110f for lactic fermentations. The first time was a glass carboy and the second was a corny. I wrapped each in a sweatshirt.

I would recommend a temp controller on it. If you don't, it will likely put your carboy over 100 without careful monitoring. By itself, it is not hot to the touch in any one area, but because of the large surface area it actually puts out a lot of heat.

I do plan on using a temp controller. I've only had the equipment for a couple brews now, but I can already see wanting another thermostat temp controller. This brew with wy3724 will need to be temp controlled for about a month to attenuate, I expect. I tend to brew every 2 weeks, so that means no temp control for the subsequent batch.

Latest posts

Back