Possible CO2 leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSpartaNJ

Reaction score
I know the the CO2 gauge on my 5lb tank normally reads around 500 until it is gone. The last tank lasted through 4 commercial sixtels and 7 force carbed kegs. I just went to start carbing my latest batch and noticed the gauge reading around 250 to 300. Should I be concerned? Temperature in the kegerator is usually between 41 and 42 degrees.

FWIW, my method for force carbing is to set regulator at 30 psi for 48 hours, lower to serving pressure (usually 10 psi), and serve.

Thanks,

Joe

It's possible you have a leak. Spray some Windex or similar soapy substance on any point where a lead could occur --connections at the regulator, in your manifold, the lid of the keg, the gas connection on your keg, etc. If it's leaking, it'll start blowing bubbles.

Double-double check your regulator (the start that screws onto the tank)... I see those leak a lot at work (on O2 bottles).

Double-double check your regulator (the start that screws onto the tank)... I see those leak a lot at work (on O2 bottles).

So I checked it again. My keg carbed up in 48 hours but my tank is empty. I tried checking for leaks again but found nothing.

The only thing I did notice is that when I disconnected the regulator from the tank, I got the slightest hiss. I also noticed that there was no gasket between the regulator and the tank. Is there supposed to be one? There is a built in nylon one one the regulator, but no rubber one in between.

I think the one in the regulator is sufficient. But do you have plumber's tape on the fitting?

Tape will do absolutely nothing wrt to sealing a flare fitting as used between tank and regulator, and indeed can interfere with the seal.

And a bit of hiss when removing a regulator is SOP...

Cheers !

I am going to try to re-seal the keg I sealed 2 weeks ago. Since I did not notice the issue until after carbing that one, I believe that one is the culprit.

Back