enough yeast? do I need more?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
Hi all, I just finished my partial mash of a Sierra Nevada clone and was wondering if I have enough yeast for this batch?

I got the kit from Austin Brew Supply and I opted for the Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast. I got one pack of it and my OG was 1.069.

Am I going to be ok with just the one pack or should I be running out to my LBS to get another? I'm hoping the one will be ok?

What would be the problems to occur with using just the one pack if you think I should have used 2?

Pitching the optimum cell counts is best but you can ferment your beer with just one Smackpack. You may get some off flavors by under pitching. Using today as the production date mrmalty.com suggests 2.6 packs or to make a 3.3 liter starter. For me: if it was convenient I would get another pack, if not I would just let it go. I always make starters whenever using liquid yeast.

Well unfortunately, I wasn't able to get out and get another pack today.

Should I run out tomorrow morning to get one? Do you think it's critical that I add a second pack or it will turn out good with just the one?

It will turn out ok with one pack. it would have turned out better if you had made a starter or used to packs but I would let it go now as its already started. Its a pretty clean yeast strain so it shouldn't poop out to much off flavor. For the future I would suggest using a yeast pitching calculator so you can purchase the right amount of yeast or make a starter in advanced.

I heard of people doing yeast starters, is it involved?

I wish I knew about this before...I guess as a new brewer I'm always learning something every time I brew...

So I would have been ok if I just used the one pack but did a starter?

Yes you would have been ok using 1 smack pack with a starter. The starter builds up the amount of yeast cells so by the time you pitch it you have the correct amount of viable cells. For now just leave it alone. If you dont want to do a started in the future you can pitch 2 smack packs. But the most cost friendly way of doing it is a starter.

I heard of people doing yeast starters, is it involved?

Not really. Do a google search for "how to make a yeast starter" and there are a number of videos and pages that cover the process. All you're really doing is making a tiny batch of beer without any hops.

I wish I knew about this before...I guess as a new brewer I'm always learning something every time I brew...

This is not an easily mastered hobby. I learn new stuff all the time (but I'm pretty new at it too).

So I would have been ok if I just used the one pack but did a starter?

Yes.

Cool, thanks for the info guys. I did a little researching on starters and maybe that's the way to go instead of buying ($$) two Wyeast packs.

Anyway, this one's in my fermenting chamber now and bubbling away :)

If you are looking to save money on yeast, look into yeast slanting. I have about a dozen slants in the fridge right now that I can make into starters. At this point, I only buy yeast when I want a strain that I don't already have slants of.

If you are looking to save money on yeast, look into yeast slanting. I have about a dozen slants in the fridge right now that I can make into starters. At this point, I only buy yeast when I want a strain that I don't already have slants of.

I make vials of yeast for freezing. I mix 5ml yeast, 5ml glycerin and 10ml sterile water. Chill overnight then freeze.

When I get a new strain I make a starter a little larger than I need for the current brew then put together 4 vials. If I made 4 new vials from each for 4 generations I could brew 256 times from the original purchase.

Back