A Sad Truth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
The other day I saw in a giftshop window a "World's Greatest Mom" coffee mug. It got me thinking...

Assume all world's greatest mom coffee mugs are actually sold and not just sitting in storage.

Think of all the world's greatest mom coffee mugs in that store, maybe 20 with another 20 maybe in the back room (just throwing out numbers). Multiply that by how many gift shops there are in the English speaking world. Then add in all the extra thousands sold over the internet or through some other medium.

Subtract one (1) from that number...

And you have all the mugs purchased by kids who are incorrect, sorely mistaken or just plain full of crap.

Sad when you think about it.

*sigh* it will pass

How about a positive spin? Perhaps to the person buying that mug for their mother, that mother really is the greatest in the world.

Both my parents are awesome, and I've come to realize as an adult that it seems to be a somewhat rare thing. I'm very blessed.

Maybe there's a hidden but implied second part of the title, like "World's Greatest Mom (at getting the Hersey stains out of my underwear)"

How about a positive spin? Perhaps to the person buying that mug for their mother, that mother really is the greatest in the world.

There ya go, Creamy. Maybe you, all those years ago, were the one person in the whole English speaking universe to have gotten it right and the rest of us are living in a lie desperately wishing, hoping even, that we might possibly be the one who does. :mug:

Good job, buddy!

On the other hand, the biggest travesty would be if the one truly "World's best Mom" never got a coffee mug stating such obvious things. Because then, what would all of her coffee drinking friends think of her. Would they look down at her because she doesn't claim the title that she has earned and deserves? Or would they see that as a sign that she truly is selfless and even further encapsulates all that is good about her. The world may never know....

I agree with you on this, Creamy. It really makes no sense, even if you THINK you have the greatest mom in the world, getting her a mug that says it is not only tacky, it's impossible to be.

I suggest doing what The Lonely Island did for their moms on Mothers Day, on their hit single, Motherlover.

PistolsAtDawn said:

Both my parents are awesome, and I've come to realize as an adult that it seems to be a somewhat rare thing. I'm very blessed.

I agree with this line of thinking.
Since everyone is different, different people have different needs when being raised. So just because someone else's mother may have fulfilled their role just as they needed them to and as a result is considered by them as the greatest mother in the world, that doesn't necessarily mean I would think the same thing if they were my mother.
Same can be said about spouses. I could say that my wife is the most awesome wife in the world, but that doesn't mean every other guy in the world would be happy to be married to her.
Sorry for trying to bring some reason and sense into a Creamy thread. ;)

But I do think that those mugs are a crappy gift, even if you believe it to be true.

For the sake of accuracy and correctness I will now change all of the Worlds Greatest Mother mugs my fictional company sells to read the following.

(Subjectively) Worlds Greatest Mother

Is that sufficient Creamy?

;)

"Best mom in the world for me"

Simple, still sweet.

"Best Lover in the world that I currently have ongoing relations with"

doesn't quite roll off the tongue as eloquently.

Back