New Better Bottle with scratches in bottom punt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenyabob

Reaction score
I got a new better bottle from bells, and during my first cleaning, it seemed as if there were some scratches at the top of the bottle's punt, on the inside. I've never used a bottle cleaner on it before, only a carboy washer, which doesnt reach that far. My questions are:

1. Is there some way to easily tell if there is a scratch in the bottle, or if its some kind of impurity in the bottle itself? That area of the better bottle is cloudy anyhow, not sure if its part of the processing

2. I bought the bottle during the winter. If it is scratched, should I try and take it back to Bells, despite how long ago I bought it, or can I contact Better Bottle, or am I screwed?

Thanks in advance for any help!

If you've used it, I probably wouldn't take it back. Sorry about the scratches, that is the potential downside of better bottles but doesn't make it any less annoying. :(

Run your fingernail across the scratch. If your nail gets caught its on the outside if not its on the inside. Better bottles are hard to tell. I have one that's scratched to **** on the outside. It works great still but I'm always double and triple checking to make sure the scratches are only on the outside and not inside. Kind of a pain

Back