Primary Carboy and Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winstonpercefull

Reaction score
I brewed up a basic IPA from my local Home Brew store today and I wanted to know the benefits of leaving your beer in a Primary Fermenter for the entire fermentation process as oppose to transferring your beer to a Secondary Fermenter once fermentation is complete? Also, I brewed up and IPA about 2 months ago and my beer didn't have any serious hop presence in the taste so my local Home Brew store had suggested dry hopping to add more flavors and I was wondering if anybody has added a dry hop bag to a glass carboy and if so what kind of headache was it to try to get it out?

Primary vs Secondary fermentation? If you do even a cursory search on the forums you are going to find enough information on that it will put you to sleep.

Whether or not to use a secondary is totally a matter of personal preference. I choose to do most of my brews with just a primary. Unless I'm adding something extra for secondary fermentation, I don't bother with a secondary. I see it as necessary risk vs. unnecessary risk... Transferring to bottling bucket is a necessary step to add priming sugar and get my beer into bottles. Transferring to secondary is an unnecessary risk because autolysis isn't an issue I've ever encountered and it opens my beer up to potential for oxidation. Some people think that secondary really helps with clearing. I happen to think that conditioning (primary and bottle) will yield similar or equivalent results most times.

Dry hopping an IPA? DEFINITELY :ban: I toss 'em right into the primary. No bag. The pellets settle out into the trub just fine.

Thanks for posting. I'm getting ready to dry hop an IPA recipe I came up with. I'm using Centennial hops for the entire process. First time dry hopping. So, I'm glad someone else asked!

Back