Adding Vanilla Beans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RetAF

Reaction score
I'm in the process of brewing a Vanilla Porter. Will be using Vanilla beans this time. Have used vanilla extract in the past, so this is a new technique for me. What I want to know is: can I just split the beans, scrape out the goo and add it directly to secondary, or do I need to do anything to it first - like soak it an ounce or two of vodka?

Thanks in advance...

When I make mine, I will split the bean, scrape it, quarter the pod and throw all of it into the secondary. I don't soak in spirits or anything. You could, but if you do, use a neutral spirit (like vodka) and make sure you add the vodka in with the beans since the vodka will be essentially making vanilla extract at that point. You want all the flavor. So, just use enough to cover the beans. But I wouldn't worry too much about it and just pitch without soaking. I use two beans for about a week to two weeks (to taste) in the secondary. YMMV.

Back