Batch Size in BeerSmith?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdauria

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking my next brew is going to be Tasty McDole's Janet's Brown Ale from Brewing Classic Styles. In the book they recommend 7 gallon boil, with 6 gallons post-boil and 5.5 gallons going into fermenter and 5 gallons left for bottling.

The question I have is in BeerSmith recipe builder, the batch size is suppose to be the estimated amount into the fermenter, or in this case 5.5 gallons. But when I enter that and then the ingredients at 70% eff (per the book), BeerSmith has OG of 1.073 vs 1.066 per recipe.

To hit the target gravity I need to change my batch size to 6 gallons. But won't that throw off brewhouse efficiency numbers because now BeerSmith thinks 6 g will be going into fermenter but actual will be, per recipe, 5.5? This one has me stumped!

Forget about the volumes.

You can change the quantity of base malt to match the OG.

A lot has to do with the calculated potential extract number the software uses vs the recipe creators

The scale tool may also help, just be sure to check the box to keep everything the same

Use the 5.5 gallon batch size. You can edit the boil size and such if you want it to match classic styles. Beer smith tends to run a bit high on its "Estimated" original gravity. Keep in mind that its also going to calculate in losses in the mash (Assuming you are all grain), as well as the kettle.

Classic style gives you 1/2 gallon loss in kettle which may or may not be correct for your setup. I know I actually leave a bit more than that in my kettle (converted keg with side draw) so my boils are actually more like 7.5 gallons but I still only put 5.5 in the fermentor.

You need to be more concerned about having an accurate equipment profile. This will make a huge difference in what beer smith tells you to do.

I created a Beersmith equipment profile I call "Brewing Classic Styles."

Most of the numbers are obvious but a few are tricky.

For efficiency enter 64.1% (not 70%). Beersmith uses brew house efficiency while Brewing Classic Styles quotes mash efficiency. The difference is mash efficiency includes the trub volume while brew house does not include the trub volume. 64.1% = 5.5/6 * 70%.

The boil volume is 7. The boil off amount is 1G.

Beersmith calculates an extra 0.24G loss from shrinkage.

Trub loss should be 0.26G (not 0.5). This is 0.26G because there was also the 0.24G shrinkage. 0.24 + 0.26 = 0.5

The batch size is 5.5G and the fermenter loss is 0.5G.

With this profile you can enter the recipe from the book and match there numbers exactly.

You should create your own equipment profile also. Enter the brewing classic styles recipes in the profile you created for the book first then scale the recipe to your equipment profile. That will give you a recipe which will brew a beer as the book intended.

Here are screen shots of my brewing classic styles equipment profile.

image-440111479.jpg

image-230421958.jpg

image-823113091.jpg

image-1159793078.jpg

Back