fermentation temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobdozer

Reaction score
I had to lower my fridge temp significantly to ferment a kolsch (52 ambient) I also have a batch of an amber fermented with wlp001 that has been going for about 10 days in same fridge that fermented at about 62. should I pull out the amber to finish cleanup at about 72 ambient? I am thinking no real worry of off flavors because fermentation is pretty much done and 52 Is probably too cold for the wlp001.

am I on the right track here?

Have you taken a hydrometer reading of the amber to see if it is done fermenting? After 10 days it's probably done, and if it was at 62* the whole time there is probably not much to clean up. I don't think it would make much difference either way, so if you need the space pull out the amber, otherwise I would just leave it where it is until bottling/kegging time.

are you sure 52 isn't too cold for the kolsch as well? i know it can go pretty low, but i don't think it gets all the way down to lager temps. the beauty of kolsch yeast is u don't actually need to ferment it at lager temps to get lager-like results.

I had to lower my fridge temp significantly to ferment a kolsch (52 ambient) I also have a batch of an amber fermented with wlp001 that has been going for about 10 days in same fridge that fermented at about 62. should I pull out the amber to finish cleanup at about 72 ambient? I am thinking no real worry of off flavors because fermentation is pretty much done and 52 Is probably too cold for the wlp001.

am I on the right track here?

I'd want a gravity reading to confirm FG, but I'd be inclined to pull the amber and let it clean up outside the chamber since WLP001 (Chico, like US-05) probably dropped out at 52*F. I'd wrap it up with blankets or something so that the temp increase happens slowly over a day or so.

I'd be inclined to pull the amber regardless. You don't want to stall the yeast in any case, and reducing temp at that point is likely to do so. Even if it is not at FG, after 10 days it will be close enough to not worry about temperature related flavor issues.

Back