Hydrometer issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty2

Reaction score
Anyone ever have issues with this hydrometer:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/beer-and-wine-triple-scale-hydrometer.html

(I didn't get it from northern brewer) I have been fermenting a helles lager for 8 days. OG was 1.051(providing it was correct). Took a gravity reading today, it was 1.010-1.012. I drop the hydrometer in the wine thief tube. The hydrometer doesn't seem to want to stay off the sides of the tube. I tasted the beer and it still tastes somewhat sweet to me and there is a little krausen left. Help/suggestions please. Thanks

Cyclman said:
Spin the hydrometer, it will keep it off the sides. You've hit 77% attenuation, which is not really low.

Spun it sever times, just wants to hug the sides. I filled the thief tube to the top, got a reading of 1012-1013, so, a little better. I'm going to invest in a dedicated hygrometer tube, thief tube not cutting it.

Dissolved co2 in the fermenting beer will give you a higher SG also. You need to degas the beer some and retest. I usually let the hydrometer test tube sit for an hour or two at room temperature to let the sample off gas. The SG usually drops 2 to 4 points after the wait.

Back