Have WLP090, Need Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARealClassAct

Reaction score
I recently ordered some WLP001 online and was accidentally sent WLP090 (San Diego Super Strain) instead. The WLP001 was sent free of charge to correct the mistake, so now I have a free vial of WLP090 that I need a recipe for. I want to do something high gravity with an ABV in the range of 12-15%. Does anyone have any recipes that they have had success using WLP090 for in the past?

I'm open to any styles and would prefer either a partial mash or extract with specialty grains recipe.

Thanks.

This is going to end up being an expensive brew, and I'm starting to wonder if maybe this "mistake" was just a marketing technique....

They are very much the same flavor profile of yeast. WLP090 just attenuates and flocs slightly better. Any beer that you would normally use WLP001 for would also be suitable with WLP090. I wouldn't be so cynical about the error. You don't necessarily have to brew a big beer with WLP090.

I understand that I don't necessarily "have" to brew a big beer with WLP090, but since I have an extra vial of yeast around that "can" brew a big beer, my manly ego is forcing me to go big or go home.

I was only joking about the marketing technique thing.

ARealClassAct said:
I understand that I don't necessarily "have" to brew a big beer with WLP090, but since I have an extra vial of yeast around that "can" brew a big beer, my manly ego is forcing me to go big or go home.

I was only joking about the marketing technique thing.

Just keep in mind that big beers still require big starters. When I use this yeast, I like to get 2 beers out of it. 1st a pale ale; 2nd a big nasty IPA with the huge pitch of yeast from the first.

Back