yeast for dandelion wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herbalady

Reaction score
I plan on making dandelion wine this week and thinking I had a white wine yeast, it is Red Star Pasteur Red dry wine yeast.
Will this work for the dandelion wine?
Also, I will be away when the wine clears, will it matter if I wait to strain & rack it a few wks. after it clears?
Sorry, I posted this in the wrong place, first time on.

I plan on making dandelion wine this week and thinking I had a white wine yeast, it is Red Star Pasteur Red dry wine yeast.
Will this work for the dandelion wine?
Also, I will be away when the wine clears, will it matter if I wait to strain & rack it a few wks. after it clears?
Sorry, I posted this in the wrong place, first time on.

I rack when the wine is about 5 days old. I've never used that yeast strain- it should be ok.

That recipe you sent me the link for is the exact one for Dandelion wine I am following....thanks
After 5 days when it gets strained & poured into the secondary fermentation vessel, recipe says to leave until fermentation ceases completely....what time frame would this be? I will be leaving for 3 weeks exactly one week after the 5 days.
If it is still fermenting after a week, I will have to get a friend to continue the process.
Also, I will be making a the gallon recipe...I'm assuming a gallon jug for the secondary fermentation vessel will be too small after adding the raisins.
This is my first time making this as you can see...thanks for your help

That recipe you sent me the link for is the exact one for Dandelion wine I am following....thanks
After 5 days when it gets strained & poured into the secondary fermentation vessel, recipe says to leave until fermentation ceases completely....what time frame would this be? I will be leaving for 3 weeks exactly one week after the 5 days.
If it is still fermenting after a week, I will have to get a friend to continue the process.
Also, I will be making a the gallon recipe...I'm assuming a gallon jug for the secondary fermentation vessel will be too small after adding the raisins.
This is my first time making this as you can see...thanks for your help

Oh, you can leave it in the secondary for 45-60 days or so before racking. It'll be fine while you're gone!

If you fill up the gallon jug, and it's too full, you can use a wine bottle or growler or something (sanitized of course!) to hold the extra wine for topping up at the next racking.

I have a bunch of bungs and airlocks, and a #6 stopper fits a growler (and those gallon jugs) and I think it's a #3 that fits a wine bottle (both the 750 ml bottle and the 1.5 L bottle).

Once you rack off of the raisins, you'll need that extra wine to top up the jug so you'll want to keep it in a vessel and airlocked.

Back